Reporting to Executive Director and International Director (Sr. Leadership), the Director of Development & Stewardship will assume substantial responsibility for the fundraising efforts of the Florence Melton School of Adult Jewish Learning. In conjunction with Sr. Leadership, they will create and implement a strategic and comprehensive annual resource development and stewardship plan that engages donors of all levels and utilizes different modes of solicitation (e.g. , face-to-face, phone, crowdfunding, mailings, events, email).
The Director of Development & Stewardship will specifically be responsible for:
Major Donors, Foundations, and Prospects (supporting Sr. Leadership)
- Help to identify prospective major gift donors
- Work collaboratively with Sr. Leadership and Board of Directors to make donor assignments
- Manage portfolios of major gift prospects and donor assignments for Sr. Leadership and Board of Directors
- Assist in developing relationships with foundations and pursuing grant funding opportunities
- Develop campaign theme, communication strategy and implementation plan for annual campaign
- Work across departments, especially Travel and Online Learning, to ensure cohesive strategies around relationship building and fundraising
- Build relationships with current small and mid-level donors to increase the size and/or frequency of their giving
- Develop and implement annual process for soliciting lapsed donors
- Identify donors with larger annual gift capacity to transition relationship to Sr. Leadership or Board of Directors
Marketing & Communications
- Develop and maintain annual calendar of fundraising activities
- Collaborate with Director of Communications to oversee creation of all materials related to fundraising including annual campaign collateral, annual reports, thank you letters, brochures, case for support, etc.
Development Committee/Board of Directors
- Serve as staff liaison to Development Committee, overseeing board and volunteer efforts around fundraising
- Set annual calendar of meetings and goals in conjunction with Development Co-Chairs
- Recruit Development Committee members
- Manage Development Committee and Board Member activities and assignments
- Identify and oversee appropriate training for board members in further building a culture of philanthropy
Gift Processing & Stewardship
- Work in partnership with Director of Operations to oversee gift processing, database management and all formal stewardship letters. Also, help to ensure that accurate and confidential donor records are properly maintained
- Make personal contact, or manage Sr. Leadership, Staff or Board to do so, with donors to steward relationships
- Respond to donor requests, comments, and inquiries
- Plan annual donor appreciation events
Melton’s Legacy Society
- Work with senior leadership and the Legacy subcommittee on developing and implementing strategies for promoting legacy giving
- Develop annual marketing plan to promote legacy giving
- Coordinate 1-on-1 conversations with prospects
- Develop and implement Legacy donor stewardship
To be successful in this position, you will bring:
- Proven skills in managing several competing priorities and complex issues creatively and effectively. This may include long-range strategic fundraising, donor development, and volunteer engagement alongside day-to-day operations.
- Demonstrated ability to motivate and engage through highly effective presentations and communication. A clear and confident communication style, both verbally and in writing, which conveys institutional knowledge and integrity. This includes the ability to shape compelling gift opportunities.
- Superior interpersonal and listening skills and the proven ability to collaborate as well as build strong working relationships with a diverse portfolio of donors as well as colleagues.
- Ability to work independently, as part of a team, and as a team leader training and directing staff and volunteers.
- Cultural competency across the denominational spectrum of Jewish life.
- Strong commitment to the vision and mission of the Florence Melton School of Adult Jewish Learning, with the ability to serve as a passionate, compelling professional spokesperson and ambassador for the organization.
- A Bachelor’s Degree and minimum five-years professional experience in fundraising required. Ideally the candidate has served in several different fundraising capacities, working on annual campaigns, major gifts development and legacy giving.
- Character Qualities: Accountable, Organized, Creative, Flexible, Loyal, Enthusiastic, Dependable, Disciplined, Diligent
- Technical Skills: Experience with Microsoft Office Suite and donor database software
The Director of Development is a full-time position that can be done remotely. Salary range is $90,000 - $100,000 and will be commensurate with experience. Benefits include health insurance, 403b, and time off for major Jewish and U.S. holidays.
The Florence Melton School of Adult Jewish Learning engages adult learners in a life-enhancing study of Jewish texts and ideas that nurtures and deepens Jewish community worldwide. Through classes (both in-person and online) and travel seminars, Melton learners find Jewish texts and ideas accessible and relevant to their lives. They become part of a worldwide movement of committed learners who are empowered to enrich Jewish life.
Melton is the largest pluralistic adult Jewish education network in the world, with 50 Melton communities throughout the United States, Canada, Australia, and South Africa. More than 50,000 learners have experienced Melton’s professionally developed curriculum and lively interactive classes.
Inventor and activist Florence Zacks Melton z”l (1911-2007) envisioned The Florence Melton Institute in 1986 as a project of the Melton Centre at The Hebrew University of Jerusalem. She sought to bring to life a comprehensive and sophisticated program of Jewish learning for adults. Melton attributes its values of accessibility, open-mindedness, integrity, community, and innovation to her enduring vision.
Melton’s main offices are in Jerusalem and New York City. Our team culture is collaborative, dedicated, flexible, thoughtful, fun, and mission-driven!