Position: Development Assistant
Supervisor: Director of Development
Congregation Rodeph Sholom (CRS) is a large dynamic Reform synagogue at the heart of Manhattan’s Upper West Side and has a strong 180-year history. It is a steadfast beacon for purposeful Jewish living and the celebrating of Jewish traditions. We are a community for all who enter our doors and our members represent the vibrant diversity of New York’s Jewish landscape. Multi-generational families, millennials, interfaith families, lifelong New Yorkers, those new to the city, folks pursuing conversion and those exploring Judaism for the first time have all found a home at CRS. Rodeph Sholom is an anchor of connection and source of belonging serving over 1700 families.
The Development Assistant will be a part of our growing fundraising efforts and will join Congregation Rodeph Sholom at a pivotal time in our history, as we embark upon a long-term strategic plan. The Department is tasked with enhancing our Annual Appeal efforts, building our Tikkun Olam – Social Action fund sourcing and driving a range of diverse revenue streams including foundation, individual, government and corporate giving.
The successful candidate will be highly collaborative, have strong communication skills and a deep interest in raising funds in support of CRS’s mission.
- Our team works on a hybrid schedule, there is an option of 1-2 days of remote work. All of our team members must be flexible and able to adapt to short- and long-term shifts in their job duties. Working hours are generally 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM (4:00 PM on Fridays); additional hours may be required evenings, weekends, and holidays.
- Collaborate with stakeholders to help steward congregant engagement.
- Provide support for key development initiatives, such as:
- Annual Appeal.
- Social Action Efforts – Backpack Buddies, Annual Food Drive, Refugee & Immigration Support.
- Operational fundraising efforts - Yahrzeit donations, Book of Life, Roll of Remembrance, Shireinu, etc.
- Expense management – submitting invoices and American Express expense reports.
- Administrative support – mailings, coordinating in-person events, donor communication, tracking data, stocking departmental supplies.
- Providing reports and analytics for donor engagement and giving activity.
- College degree preferred.
- 1-3 years of relevant work experience.
- Familiarity with Jewish calendar and lifecycle events is a plus.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, CRM (Salesforce), Zoom, and MS Teams, Monday.com and Concur are a plus.
- Strong analytical and interpersonal skills.
- Self-starter with ability to work independently.
- High attention to detail.
- “Can-do” attitude.
- Results driven.
- Superb customer service skills.
- Strong consensus-building skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and ability to communicate effectively to various audiences.
- Flexible and nimble - able to adapt to changing priorities, and exercise sound judgment.
- Exceptional time management and organizational skills.
- All staff must be fully vaccinated, including booster shot. Proof of vaccination required at start of employment.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy:
CRS does not unlawfully discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of one’s actual or perceived race; color; religion; sex/gender (including gender identity); creed; sexual orientation; marital status; pregnancy; ethnicity; national origin; ancestry; age; disability; alienage/citizenship status; arrest or conviction record (consistent with the provisions of New York State’s Corrections Law); partnership status; familial status; military service; status as a victim of domestic violence, stalking or sex offenses; veteran status; genetic pre-disposition or carrier status; or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Employment decisions at CRS are made in a non-discriminatory manner and are based on qualifications, abilities, and merit. As may be permitted by law, certain CRS positions will be filled by persons of the Jewish faith as a bona fide occupational qualification. CRS also prohibits, and will not tolerate, any form of retaliation or reprisal against any employee who reasonably and in good faith complains of discrimination or harassment or provides information in connection with any such complaint.