Founded in 1899, Temple De Hirsch Sinai carries forward our progressive legacy of community, inclusion, integrity, and diversity. “Love your neighbor as yourself” informs all that we do. As a prominent leader in the region’s Jewish and civic life, our growing congregation welcomes and engages more than 5,000 individual members and the greater community on two campuses, to connect through dynamic and meaningful education, programs, worship, and social justice (tikkun olam) work.
We are looking for an experienced Senior Accountant to oversee general accounting operations by controlling and verifying financial transactions for our Seattle- and Bellevue-based synagogue.
Reporting to the CFO/COO, Senior Accountant responsibilities include reconciling account balances and bank statements, maintaining general ledger and preparing month-end close procedures. A successful Senior Accountant combines excellent analytical skills with a thorough knowledge of accounting principles to analyze financial reports and forecasts. The ideal candidate has also experience collaborating and/or managing an accounting team as well as proven interaction and collaboration with Not-for-Profit Boards of Directors. Senior Accountant duties also include ensuring accuracy and effectiveness in all accounting tasks.
Senior Accountant responsibilities include:
- Verifying, allocating, posting and reconciling accounts payable and receivable
- Producing error-free accounting reports and present their results
- Analyzing financial information and summarizing financial status
- Review and approve semi-monthly payroll
- Track and maintain fixed asset schedules and spending
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Illustrative duties may include the following:
- Reconcile other balance sheet accounts as necessary
- Spot errors and suggest ways to improve efficiency and spending
- Review and recommend modifications to accounting systems and procedures
- Manage accounting assistants and bookkeepers
- Participate in financial standards setting and in forecast process
- Provide input into department’s goal setting process
- Prepare financial statements and produce budget according to schedule
- Assist with tax audits and tax returns
- Direct internal and external audits to ensure compliance
- Plan, assign and review staff’s work
- Support month-end and year-end close process
- Develop and document business processes and accounting policies to maintain and strengthen internal controls
- Ensure compliance with GAAP principles
- Coordinate with CFO and Executive Director?to improve financial procedures
Any combination of experience and training that demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position is qualifying. This includes:
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Proven experience as a Controller, Accounting Manager, or Senior Accountant
- Thorough knowledge of basic accounting procedures.
- Hands-on experience with accounting software packages. MIP and Paylocity experience preferred but not required.
- Advanced MS Excel skills including Vlookups and pivot tables.
- In-depth understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) as applied to not-for-profit organizations, experience with fund accounting a plus.
- Awareness of business trends
- Familiarity with financial accounting statements
- Experience with general ledger functions and the month-end/year-end close process
- Hands-on experience with accounting software packages. MIP and Paylocity experience a plus
- Demonstrated experience with developing reports for an interacting with non-for-profit Boards of Directors.
- Aptitude for numbers and quantitative skills.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills required.
- BS degree in Accounting, Finance or other relevant discipline preferred.
The health of our Temple members and staff is a high priority for us, and we’re committed to making our community as safe as possible. We follow strict COVID protocols as recommended by Seattle and King County Public Health, as well as our own team of medical consultants and experts. In alignment with this commitment, we require all Temple employees to be fully vaccinated and to provide proof of vaccination upon employment.
This is a full-time exempt position. Salary range is $75,000 to $85,000, depending on experience. Benefits include vacation, holiday, and sick time, long-term disability, and health and dental insurance.
TO APPLY: Please send cover letter, resume, and references to Lisa Horowitz, Executive Director, [email protected].