Director of Operations – Volunteer and Program Coordinator
GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION:
The Director of Operations will serve as the head of TBS’s operations. The Director of Operations will partner with lay leaders to build and manage the human, financial, and physical resources of the synagogue.
Specific responsibilities include coordinating volunteer personnel, overseeing day-to-day operations and special events, and building community through personal relationships. The Director will support and collaborate with volunteer committees such as the Building Committee, the Membership Committee and our Strategic Plan Implementation Committees. All of these responsibilities will be in collaboration with lay leaders, volunteers, a part-time administrator, and outside contractors.
The Director of Operations must be eager to strategize, experiment, and correct course as needed so that they and TBS can grow and flourish. They will also serve as a TBS ambassador, contributing to a warm, welcoming, and supportive environment. The Board of Directors sees itself as a partner to the Director of Operations in the management of the congregation. The Director of Operations will take direction from and be accountable to the President of the Congregation.
About the Temple Beth Shalom (aka Tremont Street Shul) community:
Temple Beth Shalom of Cambridge is an independent, participatory, and intergenerational Jewish community with a range of minyanim, including egalitarian, partnership, and orthodox. We serve the local Jewish population through prayer and ritual, social gatherings, and learning. Our Values include Unified Diversity, Communal Observance, Chesed, and Participation.
Our long-term vision is to be a leading center for Judaism in Cambridge. We want to support multiple communities to the fullest extent possible while maintaining an emphasis on being a single community.
Our community currently has approximately 200 member units. The Leadership team is made up of a Board of Directors, an office manager, and a part-time rabbinic educator. In the near term, we expect our staff to consist of a Director of Operations, a part-time administrator, and two part-time Rabbis. Lay leaders and volunteers are very active and engaged but are in need of central coordination.
Qualifications and Job Requirements:
- BA/BS required.
- Master’s degree in nonprofit management or business administration and/or experience as a senior administrator, executive director, or director of operations, ideally at a non-profit
- Available to be physically present at the synagogue on selected Holidays and Shabbatot, offset by time during the week
In addition, the following qualities and characteristics will be beneficial to the role and would make someone a strong candidate:
- Self-starter and creative problem solver with strong interpersonal and organizational skills, including the ability to communicate effectively and efficiently prioritize responsibilities.
- Knowledge of human resource management, with demonstrated success in managing, motivating and developing staff and volunteers
- Knowledge of computer and web-based systems and social media to support administration, events, membership and marketing
- Familiarity with Jewish rituals, customs and holiday celebrations
- Able to work successfully and respectfully with staff, congregants, and other community organizations, and to respect diversity of backgrounds, perspectives, personalities and communication styles
Temple Beth Shalom offers compensation of $70,000-$90,000 (total compensation) commensurate with education and relevant experience.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to [email protected].