Educator and Stage Manager for “Heschel’s Passover Eve”
Shazur / Interwoven Inc. is seeking a dynamic Jewish educator with good technical skills to serve as the Educator and Stage Manager of “Heschel’s Passover Eve”, a play about the life and philosophy of Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel.
In the one-man performance of "Heschel's Passover Eve”, we meet Rabbi Dr. Abraham Joshua Heschel just a few days before the Seder, to which he invited his friend and traveling companion, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. in April 1968. As Rabbi Heschel arranges the chairs around the Seder table in a "general rehearsal" for the event, the audience is exposed to Heschel's complex, fascinating and tumultuous character; his life history, his beliefs and the social struggles in which he took part. Rabbi Heschel's inspiring personna, his call for moral awakening, and his remarkable life story, are woven into this fascinating play, an original production initiated by the World Zionist Organization.
Due to its success with a wide array of audiences in Israel, we are now bringing an English production of this play to North America. The play is estimated to have four 10 day tours between fall 2023 and 2024, performing in JCCs, congregations, schools and Hillels. In addition to the show itself, we are offering venues a 45-60 minute educational program that adds context and helps unpack the play. We are looking for a dynamic educator to join these tours and facilitate this program, while also serving as stage manager.
Pay: 400 USD per show + educational program, all touring expenses covered (travel, hotels etc.) and per diem. This is a freelance position, ideal for those looking for supplementary income who have flexibility in their schedule.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualities:
- Prior experience in formal / informal Jewish education (Hebrew school teacher, camp counselor, youth movement director etc.)
- Comfortable running an educational program with a wide variety of ages (teens, students and adults)
- Proficient technical skills (operating A/V systems, stage set up)
- Able to travel for extended periods of up to 10 days at a time (3-4 tours a year)
- Comfortable with representing the World Zionist Organization
- Possesses a current driver's license- preferred
- Familiar with the ideology and teachings of Rabbi Heschel -prefered
Please submit a cover letter and resume by September 29th to the following email: [email protected]