About the Organization:
UJA-Federation of New York is the largest local philanthropy in the world. For more than 100 years, we’ve brought New Yorkers together to solve some of the most pressing problems facing our community. Thanks to our network of hundreds of non-profits, we can leverage our expertise across any number of areas — including health and human services, arts and culture, and education — to care for Jews everywhere and New Yorkers of all backgrounds, respond to crises close to home and far away, and shape our Jewish future. Our reach extends from New York to Israel to nearly 70 other countries around the world, touching 4.5 million people each year.
Visit our career site to learn more: https://recruiting.ultipro.com/UNI1075UJAF.
The Entertainment, Tech & Lifestyle Division of UJA-Federation of New York seeks a proactive, self-motivated, and flexible Senior Development Executive/Development Executive. The candidate will be responsible for significant fundraising and engagement strategy across multiple portfolios and must be able to work effectively independently, in a team setting and alongside senior leadership of UJA-Federation, both volunteer and professional. The activities of this division are fast-paced and high-energy; therefore, this role requires a team-player with the ability to multi-task, trouble-shoot, and be a forward-thinker. This fundraiser will have ultimate accountability for achieving their campaign goals.
- Maintain and grow multiple fundraising portfolios related to the media and entertainment industries (including but may not be limited to Music and Retail, Fashion & Lifestyle).
- Identify, cultivate, solicit, and engage individual and corporate donors in support of campaign growth. Develop and implement appropriate fundraising strategies and techniques, including firm campaigns, one-on-one solicitations, fundraising events, phone sessions, and written communications.
- Develop Major Gifts strategy for high-capacity donor prospects including identification, stewardship, and solicitation of these donors in conjunction with annual, capital, and/or planned giving.
- Educate donors and prospects about the mission and work of UJA through one-on-one cultivation activities, agency site visits, volunteer projects, missions, educational programs, fundraising events, industry briefings and other meaningful activities.
- Oversee and manage multiple annual division fundraising events, including securing honorees, organizing event committees, leveraging existing leadership for fundraising opportunities, and interfacing with internal departments and external vendors.
- Involve lay leadership in strategic manner, including to grow and strengthen each portfolio, by cultivating donors, maximizing opportunities for relationship building, and engaging and leveraging lay leaders to increase dollars raised and expand donor base. Develop and implement plan to assure quality lay leadership for upcoming and successive campaigns.
- In partnership with grantmaking professional, oversee a grant funding portfolio including staffing a lay committee and managing the application, review and allocations process.
- Provide necessary professional support to appropriate lay committees. This includes agenda setting, preparing reports and presentations, and handling or delegating related tasks such as meeting notes and follow up.
- Collaborate with staff across the organization – including fundraising and non-fundraising professionals -- to develop and implement strategies to maximize engagement with donors, their firms, and their families.
- Build positive UJA-Federation brand awareness among industry professionals.
- Assume additional responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master's degree preferred.
- 3-5 years minimum of demonstrable fundraising and/or sales experience, ideally in the entertainment/media space.
- Ability to manage individual assignments effectively and independently while mobilizing others around shared priorities.
- Corporate fundraising experience and event planning experience, including development and execution of fundraising galas, strongly preferred
- Strong strategic planning, negotiation and consensus building skills.
- High degree of comfort with high-net worth donors and senior leadership.
- Excellent interpersonal, written/verbal communication, and relationship-building skills
- Strong customer-service orientation.
- Team player with the ability to multitask and handle multiple competing priorities.
- Creative, energetic, self-motivated, quick learner.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite.
- Comfortable and adept at communicating and presenting in person and via digital/remote platforms.
- Knowledge of issues facing the Jewish community and passion for UJA-Federation’s mission required, knowledge of relevant industries a plus
How to Apply:
Equal Opportunity Employment. Only qualified applicants will be contacted. Please submit your application directly to our job board at https://recruiting.ultipro.com/UNI1075UJAF.
Great Perks. Because We Appreciate Great Employees.
We offer a generous number of vacation days and have the Jewish holidays off as well. Fridays our offices close early (October to March at 3:00 pm and April to September at 4:00 pm). All so you can relax and recharge.
UJA provides a top-tier medical and dental plan, along with a flexible spending account. We also offer life insurance. And for a small cost you can take part in on-site yoga and exercise classes at our Manhattan office. Wellness matters to us.
Planning for Retirement:
UJA employees can enroll in a pension plan and tax deferred annuity.
Classes, workshops, and compelling speakers will keep you at the top of your game.
We come together as a staff to commemorate holidays (from Rosh Hashanah to MLK Day), volunteer at nonprofits, and celebrate our accomplishments together. (Our chocolate chip cookies are legendary!)
Some More (Yes, more!)
We also offer a backup childcare program. And a commuter benefit plan. So you can get to work and feel good about it.
Also, a lot of the times, we’re wearing jeans.