Associate Vice President, Hillel International Center for Jewish and Israel Education/Meyerhoff Center
(Preferred) Start Date: By September 1, 2022
Limited Salary Range: $125,000-$155,000
The Associate Vice President will be the team lead for the Center for Jewish and Israel Education, overseeing the exciting and evolving work of the Center for Jewish and Israel Education/Meyerhoff Center (CJIE/M) at Hillel International. Established through an important funder partnership in 2018, CJIE has evolved in its mission from focusing on talent development with an emphasis on Jewish and Israel skills and knowledge in its inception to today leading a body of work that includes student cohort programming, professional and educator development, and movement culture initiatives.
CJIE/M is a team of educators, innovators, and experience designers who have collectively created movement shifting efforts over the past six years. We have brought deep, connective, and purposeful Jewish learning to thousands of students and professionals.
This team leads major initiatives in the Hillel movement including the student focused: JLF(Jewish Learning Fellowship) and Kol Yisrael which are collectively being taught to nearly 5000 students annually; professional development programs: Dwell and Masterclass; thought leadership initiatives such as the Inquiry Center Model of Israel Education and the Kranjec Test, and much more. Working quickly with an inspiring focus on serving the moment, CJIE/Meyerhoff has built a culture of putting deep encounters with Jewish life and learning at the center of the movement.
Working effectively as the deputy to the Vice President for Jewish Education, who has led the CJIE for the past 3.5 years, the AVP will guide the team to achieve its ambitious goals relating to student impact and professional development for Hillel’s 1200 staff members across the movement.
Educational Vision and Strategy: The AVP will hold the existing but evolving vision for Jewish and Israel education. They will translate vision into strategy, leading the team to reach key strategic goals.
- They will serve as lead educator, holding the Hillel approach to pedagogy and determining ways to continue to get it into the hands of Hillel professionals.
- Lead educator to create and develop new material/initiatives and be a thought leader in this space
- Lead goal setting efforts and accountable to team objectives and key results.
Team Leader: The AVP will oversee the CJIE/Meyerhoff team, which will consist of approximately 7 high level colleagues.
- Oversee day to day management of the CJIE/Meyerhoff including strategy implementation,
- Oversight of $2 million+ budget
- Strategic Communications both internal and external
- Facilitate healthy culture of team communication, gathering, and supervision
- Liaise with key stakeholders and work with the SVP and Advancement team to cultivate and steward new and existing donors.
- Supervise at least three director level direct reports
Program Designer and Implementer: CJIE/M have developed a variety of impactful programs for students and professionals. The AVP will lead the strategy on existing programs and also innovate to create new interventions for the target populations.
- Oversee and help our team facilitate educational training programs, creating a comprehensive approach to training educators at every level and moving them towards a “Hillel pedagogy”
- Responsible for overseeing the team members who hold the following key programs: cohort learning (JLF, Kol Yisrael), Shabbat Hosting Lab and Masterclass: Israel and Torah, Hillel Torah Salon
- Oversee non-Masterclass education including educational components of Hillel conferences and cohorts such as Springboard, SJE, etc.
Strategic Thinker and Relational Connecter: CJIE/M prioritizes the development of strong field relationships, listening deeply to the needs of our colleagues, and finding opportunities to support the movement in the field and at Hillel International.
- They will be a key connector/contact for all Rabbis and/or SJEs in the movement, thinking through engagement of this cohort, as well as other cohort groups within the Hillel movement.
- They will work alongside the talent team to deepen strategies for recruiting and retaining Rabbi/SJEs relating including working with rabbinical schools and developing a robust rabbinic internship and network model
- The AVP will be a source of Jewish knowledge and inspiration for Hillel International, and as such will find and make opportunities for teaching colleagues in SIC.
We’re looking for someone who is…
- Intentional. You are intrinsically motivated to do this work. You love purposeful design and understand the importance of “getting it right” as well as “getting it done”. You are able to simultaneously vision and strategy oriented while driven by results and impact.
- Accountable. You own your mistakes and strive for growth. You deliver on your commitments and maintain clear communication with those who rely on you. In short, you get your work done.
- Empathic. You can hold space for a diverse set of experiences, opinions, and backgrounds with radical empathy and compassion. When people speak to you, they feel seen, heard, and respected. You know how to be in meaningful conversation with those you disagree with.
- Passionate. You care about Jewish education from the core of your being. This work intrinsically motivates you, and your love of it comes through to those around you.
- Organized. You can hold multiple details, projects, and ideas at once. You can prioritize tasks and meet deadlines, especially when there are multiple projects running concurrently and independently.
- Charismatic. You understand people, and others feel welcomed when they are in your presence. Relationship-building is a gift of yours, and you enjoy inviting others in.
- Curious. You are hungry to learn, and ask insightful questions before offering solutions. You are just as much a learner as you are an educator.
- Collaborative. You are willing to dedicate time to help others on your team, as you understand that your success is intertwined with theirs.
- Committed to Jewish and Israel Education. You believe in our educational approaches and are committed to growing their impact in the Hillel movement.
Ideal Candidate Experience:
- You have an MA in a related field, rabbinical degree or years of Jewish content learning, and 10+ years of practical and related work experience,
- Experience working on a college campus is an expectation,
- A deep understanding of experiential education and professional development,
- Stellar interpersonal, organizational and presentation skills,
- A bias for action, a "can-do" attitude, and a sense of humor,
- The ability to own, guide, manage, and implement complicated processes from start to finish.
- Deep and extensive Jewish and Israel related knowledge
Salary and Benefits
This position has a salary range of $125,000 - $155,000. This salary falls in Hillel’s Compensation Level 8A - Associate Vice President, depending on experience and qualifications. We have designed this role to have a clear salary range to protect against unconscious pay discrimination.
Hillel has a comprehensive benefits plan that includes medical, dental, and vision insurance, paid time off for Jewish and federal holidays, an informal “take what you need” vacation policy, and flexible work from home policy. In addition, employees are enthusiastically encouraged to take advantage of professional development opportunities through Hillel U or our partner organizations.
Time Zones and Workplace
We are a remote team, open to hiring anyone based in the United States with eligibility to work in the United States. We have a flexible work schedule, which aims to support our employees in maintaining maximally successful professional and personal lives. That said, we expect our employees to keep regular hours that are mutually agreed upon by the employee and their supervisor. While this position is remote, there are semi-regular in-person gatherings, training, and conferences that we expect our team to fully participate in. Hillel’s headquarters are in Washington, D.C. with satellite offices in New York and San Francisco. Employees located in those cities are warmly invited to use those office spaces.
A note for current Hillel professionals: Current campus professionals may apply, and if a current Hillel professional is the finalist, we will work with them and their campus/supervisor to navigate a smooth transition on a mutually agreeable timeline. We are prepared to share time and resources during the transition so that a field colleague can wrap up their work on campus as they transition to a position at the SIC. We are open to considering other options that best support your campus, while working towards filling this important role for the Hillel Movement as a whole.
The Associate Vice President of Jewish and Israel Education will report to Rabbi Ben Berger, Sr. Vice President for Movement Impact, and will work collaboratively with other members of the CJIE and Meyerhoff teams as part of the Movement Impact Pillar.
What we’re about
Hillel International is the largest Jewish campus and community-based organization in the world serving the college-age population. Working with hundreds of thousands of students globally to help Jewish students make an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning and Israel, Hillel serves students at more than 550 colleges, universities and communities.
As an equal opportunity employer, all individuals are encouraged to apply without regard to race, color, religion, age, disability, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, ancestry, genetic information, medical condition, veteran status, or any other class protected under federal, state, or local laws.
- The application Deadline is Tuesday, June 21st at 9am EST
- The formal interview process (1st round, 2nd round, Committee Round and final leadership meetings) will begin June 22nd and end August 1st, 2022.
- We hope to have someone in place by September 1, 2022.
Hillel is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an accepting and inclusive environment for all.