Wilshire Boulevard Temple Camps - Associate Camp Director
Wilshire Boulevard Temple Camps, a Reform Jewish residential camp in southern California, is seeking an experienced, responsible, creative and dedicated Associate Director to join a dynamic team that creates the vision for and runs the operation of Camp Hess Kramer and Gindling Hilltop Camp.
The Associate Director will have a broad range of responsibilities and the opportunity to impact a community as it reignites its summer programs. The portfolio of the Associate Director includes helping to create the vision for the overall program of camp, recruiting and marketing to both returning camp families and families who are new to our community, recruiting, hiring, negotiating salary, and supervision of summer staff.
The Associate Director will be based out of our downtown Los Angeles, CA office from September through the end of May and then must be in residence at our camps (currently in Idyllwild, CA) for the summer season. There is travel outside of the Los Angeles Area for recruitment as well as night and weekend events.
- Must have at least 5 years of experience with youth programs and/or camps in a day or overnight setting, with at least 3 years in a leadership/directorship position
- Knowledge and deep understanding of best practices in the camping field
- Experience in program development and project management, with specific understanding of camp programming.
- Be both process and detail oriented.
- Highly organized and responsible, with an ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously, take initiative on time-sensitive projects and communicate effectively to keep the entire team up to date
- Computer literate and knowledgeable in operation of word processing, spreadsheet, and database programs including Google Suite.
- Skilled in the creation of internet communications.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, as well as public speaking skills.
- Must be able to create a sense of community and trust while successfully supervising staff.
- Be able to support and maintain a high level of customer service to camp families. Create warm and connected relationships with families while also being able to navigate difficult conversations.
- Must be able to comfortably transverse the uneven terrain of the campgrounds including ½ mile to and from activity areas multiple times a day.
- Must be able to pass an extensive background check.
- Bachelors degree or Masters degree in relevant field preferred.
- Familiarity with database, camp registration systems, donor management systems, etc. is a plus
Wilshire Boulevard Temple Camps are committed to the growth and development of all our employees. Each individual who works at camp comes with a different skill set as well as a desire to learn and grow in their own unique way. Responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
Preparation for the Summer Season:
- Camper Recruitment: Take lead in camper recruiting efforts, including congregational visits, home visits, and recruitment programs. The Associate Director will travel and be expected to attend evening and weekend events.
- Staff Recruitment: Take lead in assembling the summer staff, including but not limited to organizing the hiring process, interviewing potential staff, checking references, determining eligibility, tracking forms etc.
- Program Development: Prepare the framework for programs and activities for the upcoming summer. Help to develop the staff training program.
- Digital outreach/in-reach: Oversee all social media platforms and manage the creation of digital content
- Recruitment events: Create new avenues to engage community through events in different geographic locations.
- Maintain the camp’s website to ensure that its content is always current.
- Coordinate/Select visiting artists.
- Office Operations management: Coordinating summer transportation, managing partnerships with outside vendors, design and order merchandise
- Staff Training and Supervision
- Supervision of Senior Level summer staff and Specialists (Unit Heads, Program Director, etc.)
- Problem-solving skills to resolve issues.
- Safety/Security Coordinator
- Camp Management: Assist the Director in implementing the Camp’s policies and procedures as they affect summer staff.
- Manage camp when Director is off the property.
- Be a main point of contact for the camps with parents.
- Must be willing to work outside of normal business hours as needed.
- Summer Operations management: logistics and communication with dining services, logistics planning and execution of trips and special events days, purchase of and keeping track of supplies for programmatic areas of camp.