FOR IMMEDIATE HIRE: DEVELOPMENT ASSOCIATE
ABOUT US _______________________________________________________________
The Jewish Leadership Academy is a world-class Jewish Middle and Upper School dedicated to developing the skills, curiosity, and potential of Miami’s most ambitious students for a life of purpose, commitment, and service.
JLA is committed to:
- Challenging inquisitive minds to think critically and creatively in pursuit of the highest academic standards across all disciplines.
- Putting values into action by embedding leadership training and community service into the heart of the educational program.
- Engaging the mind and stirring the soul to connect with the Jewish past and the Jewish present, the Jewish People and the Jewish State, through the broad and embracing lens of Modern Orthodoxy.
With 100 exceptional 6th, 7th, 9th and 10th grade students from three countries, five states, twenty-seven zip codes, and forty feeder schools, JLA opened its doors for the 2023-2024 school year on a brand new state-of-the art campus in the Pinewood neighborhood of Miami.
JLA has assembled an outstanding faculty of all faiths who believe in and actively support the school’s mission to educate Jewish students at the highest academic levels while connecting them deeply to their heritage and faith. We are carefully creating a faculty culture that is values-driven, committed to high standards, and rooted in respect for all. Click here to view our Culture Deck.
DEVELOPMENT AT JLA____________________________________________________
Like so many other facets of the Jewish Leadership Academy, JLA’s approach to fundraising is distinctly different from that of most other Independent Schools, Jewish or otherwise.
JLA was founded by Gisela and Daniel Ades, whose financial investment in the school represents one of the largest gifts ever made to Jewish education. As a result of their generosity, the school’s state-of-the-art campus is fully paid for and
the school has no debt. However, the school’s commitment to truly need-blind admissions and its innovative Indexed Tuition model in which every mission-appropriate student is accepted irrespective of their ability to pay, leaves a significant projected operating deficit for the foreseeable future.
The Ades family is ready to cover a portion of that annual deficit, but they cannot do it alone. At the same time, the school believes deeply that the traditional small gift fundraising in which most schools engage creates additional burdens and pressure on the parent body, engenders a culture of entitlement amongst four and five figure donors, and often makes a school susceptible to poor decision making due to a need to satisfy a diverse and unwieldy set of donors. In addition, the effort often expended in small gift fundraising tends not to justify the financial return.
Therefore, development at JLA will focus almost exclusively on major gifts and grants of six figures and above. The role of the Development Associate will be to support the Head of School and Board in their efforts to identify, cultivate, secure, and recognize such gifts and grants. In addition, the Development Associate will work with the Head of School and the Board to develop unique revenue streams and funding sources that will help provide for the school’s long term sustainability.
The position of Development Associate will work most closely with the President of the Board and the Head of School. The position also requires close collaboration with the school’s CFO / COO and the Director of Communications. The position of Development Associate reports directly to the Head of School.
Full-time employment for the Development Associate will commence as soon as possible. Responsibilities will include:
- Work with school administration and board members to identify, articulate, and market compelling funding opportunities that emerge from the school’s unique educational program
- Identify high net worth individuals locally and nationally with philanthropic interests that align with the school’s funding opportunities
- Manage development calendar by setting up meetings for the Head of School and Board President with prospective donors and ensuring proper follow-up and stewardship
- Manage systems and software to track and cultivate donors and prospects, including a donor database and wealth screening tools
- Work with the CFO / COO to deeply understand the school’s budget, revenue streams, and long term financial projections
- Work with the Director of Communications and the Communications Associate to produce targeted marketing materials for the school’s current and prospective donors
- Acknowledge major donors through public and private recognition when appropriate
- Track and report fundraising progress to the President of the Board and the Head of School
JLA welcomes candidates for the Development Associate position from a variety of professional backgrounds. The successful candidate will be an ambitious, detail-oriented self-starter, with a strong financial background in either the for-profit or nonprofit sectors who demonstrates a deep desire to use their skills to help make the world a better place. No prior development or fundraising experience is necessary. A Bachelor's Degree is required and a Masters Degree is preferred.
In addition, the successful candidate will demonstrate:
- Strong familiarity with Jewish education and the Jewish community
- Excellent organizational skills
- Strong analytical skills
- High level proficiency with Excel, CRMs and / or fundraising software
- Proficiency in data analysis, strategy development, and the ability to create long term projections
- A high degree of professionalism
- Willingness to roll up their sleeves in a fast paced start-up culture
- Willingness to travel on occasion
- A good sense of humor
- Empathy and sensitivity
- The desire and ability to connect deeply with others
- A willingness to admit mistakes and a desire to constantly grow
A strong benefits package includes:
- Starting salary of $100,000 to $150,000.
- Full health, dental, and vision for employee
- 8% annual retirement match (on base salary)
- Daily breakfast and lunch
- Generous PTO
- Relocation stipend
- Opportunities for professional development and growth
- Short and long term disability and life insurance
To apply, send cover letter and CV to Rabbi Dr. Gil Perl: [email protected]
For more information visit: jlamiami.org