About The Rashi School
The Rashi School is the Jewish independent school of Greater Boston. In our warm and inclusive community, children are appreciated for who they are as they learn and develop. The school's unique integration of rigorous secular academics and Jewish learning, commitment to differentiated instruction, and mission rooted in social justice nurtures students’ curiosity to learn, to ask and answer tough questions, and to take multiple perspectives. With kindness as their core, Rashi students become Jewish leaders who work to make the world a better place.
Our school grows out of the Reform movement and is strictly egalitarian. Our community is pluralistic representing many streams of Judaism. We bring our families together in our joyful Jewish environment for ritual and learning that celebrates the diversity of the Jewish people.
The Controller is an integral and critical part of the Business Office at the Rashi School ensuring timely and accurate financial information. The Controller assists the Director of Finance and Operations with analysis and reporting; and works closely with the School’s Development Team, Rashi’s parent teacher organization (Yachad), and outside accounting firm. The successful candidate will be responsible for not only attending to the day to day tasks of the position, but also identifying and developing process improvements that streamline workflow.
The Successful Candidate will have:
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field, CPA preferred
- 5- 7 years of experience in similar role in a non-profit, preferably in a school environment
- Experience with Veracross modules preferred
- Unquestionable integrity and proven ability to treat sensitive information with the utmost discretion
- A strong work ethic. Work independently with minimal supervision, with proven record of multi-tasking; while meeting deadlines.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Superb prioritization and organizational skills
- Highly attentive to detail where speed and accuracy are of equal importance
- Strong customer service skills
- Creative, critical, and analytical thinking geared toward process improvement
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Skilled at establishing and cultivating strong relationships across all levels of the organization
- Excellent computer skills - proficiency in MS Excel, Word, Google docs, Veracross or equivalent accounting software
- Responsible for all accounting aspects of the school
- Responsible for financial reporting in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles
- Prepare monthly and annual financial statements
- Prepare and enter monthly journal entries
- Monthly reconciliation of banks and all balance sheet accounts
- Prepare annual financial audit package and coordinate 403(b) audit
- Cash management and supervise all incoming cash receipts
- Track enrollment and reconcile to receivables & billing
- Manage monthly tuition payment plan
- Manage record keeping of fixed assets
- Provide information and assist in filing of all federal and informational returns
- Track investments and record gains and losses
- Be familiar with rules/laws around restricted funds/grants, supporting spending,reporting and releases.
- Support and assist in recording of fundraising activities
- Oversee financial internal controls
- Work with administrators and departments regarding budget performance
- Maintain financial records in accordance with school’s record retention policy
- Keep informed of financial, regulatory and other information pertaining to nonprofit entities and schools
- Other duties as assigned
- Able to sit, stand, type, twist, bend.
- Able to use telephone and computers.