Temple Sinai of Bergen County is a warm and engaging Reform congregation located in Tenafly, NJ, only seven miles from Manhattan. Our diverse membership comes from all across Bergen County. We welcome individuals and families from all backgrounds who seek an invigorating Jewish experience.
The newly created position of Director of Membership Engagement will report to the Executive Director and will partner with clergy, staff, and lay leaders to innovate, create, implement, evaluate, and continuously improve member engagement and our overall membership experiences.
If you have a passion for member experience and community engagement, are team-oriented, have strong project management skills, and thrive working across a broad range of constituencies, we want to hear from you.
In this role, you’ll tackle two important new strategic initiatives for Temple Sinai. These include:
- Creating a systematic and intentional approach to identify and proactively outreach to disengaged and non-engaged congregants to foster friendships and connections.
- The enhancement of Temple Sinai’s current membership program and the coordination of a volunteer membership committee to recruit and welcome new members to the Temple.
In developing and implementing strategies and tactics to build lasting connections among our members, your specific responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Help to foster a relational culture that builds community, inspires a sense of belonging, and deepens connections among Temple Sinai members
- Work collaboratively with clergy, senior staff, and lay leaders to create pathways for current and new members to make meaningful, lifelong connections with and within the Temple Sinai community.
- Own the new and prospective member processes, including recruitment, proactively reaching out to invite them to participate in synagogue life and to help them build relationships with other congregants, clergy, and staff. Develop and manage an onboarding process that will lead new members to become engaged in the life of the congregation
- Develop outreach programs and activities that take place both in & outside our building to reach out to the unaffiliated Jewish population in our community.
- Have a presence at Shabbat evening and holiday services to welcome and greet congregants, and to be available to address membership inquiries.
- Create and implement an effective and innovative Membership Engagement strategy to re-engage members who are no longer actively involved in the congregation.
- Develop and manage the Temple's presence on social media and in conventional media.
- Identify and implement opportunities to increase relational connections during Temple Sinai events, as well as in-between events.
- Articulate and promote the congregation’s vision, values, and goals to members, lay leaders, and community members
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university and 5+ years of experience working with membership-based organizations
- Knowledge of and support for Reform Jewish principles and practices
- Proficient with computers, including Microsoft Office 365, spreadsheets, and data base management. CRM knowledge a plus, particularly ShulCloud
- Knowledge of social media, especially creating social media messaging & marketing to drive engagement & build community, and marketing/outreach/sales experience preferred.
- Available for regular night and weekend Temple services, projects, and programs, including on High Holy Days, Shabbat, and other Jewish holidays.
- Creative and Innovative: You readily come up with new and unique ideas; you take acceptable risks in pursuit of innovation; you learn from mistakes
- Interpersonal Skills: Establishes good working relationships with colleagues; works well with people at all levels of the organization, working strategically, tactically, and administratively across the organization; uses diplomacy and tact; is approachable; politically astute; excellent customer service skills
- $65,000- $80,000 (commensurate with experience)
- Competitive family medical benefits
- Congregational membership, including tuition for children in Early Childhood Center and/or Religious School for your child(ren)
- Professional development funds, including professional organizational dues and funds for conference attendance
- $15,000 budget for to support member engagement and initiatives
If interested, please send cover letter and resume to:
Anne-Marie Bennoun & Jason Rubach