Position: Accounting Manager
Compensation: Competitive full-time salary commensurate with experience. Generous benefit package, tuition remission, as well as a 403(b) match.
Reports to: Head of Finance & HR
Hours: Full-time, Exempt
Valley Beth Shalom is a warm, welcoming, vibrant Conservative Synagogue in Encino, with more than 1,200 families and 65 years of creating meaningful Jewish connections for our members. VBS is seeking an Accounting Manager to oversee the general accounting operations and the accounting staff.
Essential Job Functions:
- Oversees entire Accounting Department staff and functions
- Develop and achieve strategic financial structure and implement sound day to day financial practices to be more efficient and effective
- Ensure all accounting and bookkeeping practices comply with GAAP
- Oversee monthly and annual reporting
- Provide financial support for departmental processes/forms
- Serve as point person for Shulcloud and Quickbooks reports when needed
- Responsible for cash management including cash disbursements, preparation and coding of all invoices for payment
- Review check disbursements and approve their mailing
- Oversee entire payroll process and reporting
- Manage benefit administration and acting as a conduit between payroll, benefit vendors, and benefit broker
- Oversee for the recording and collection process of receivables from members, schools, vendors, and staff
- Develop and implement more efficient ways to use database & technology (Shulcloud & Quickbooks)
- Manages the annual audit/review for Synagogue and Day School; working closely with auditors to maintain the organization’s financial health
- Oversee preparation and mailing of end of year 1099 forms for independent contractors
- Oversee annual donor tax statement mailing
- Prepare 403B reporting and preparing Clergy compensation package worksheets
- Assist with budgeting process and work with department heads to prepare annual budgets
- Problem solving issues that arise
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance. CPA or MBA preferred.
- 5+ years of progressive accounting experience with a portion of it being in a supervisory role
- Thorough knowledge of U.S. GAAP
- Advanced computer skills in Quickbooks, MS Office, Google Suite and other databases
- High attention to detail and the ability to manipulate/analyze large amounts of data
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to supervise staff
- Experience working in a non-profit organization or religious institution preferred.
For consideration please submit your cover letter and resume to: [email protected]