The Billy Dalwin Preschool is seeking a Director to lead our award-winning program. Our inclusive, play-based Jewish program is fortunate to have an incredible core of educational leaders and high-performing teachers, the support of a caring and nurturing community, and a healthy financial outlook! We are looking for a strong leader to the bring early childhood expertise and seasoned managerial skills needed to enhance our already vibrant program.
The children and families of Temple Emunah, Temple Isaiah, and the greater Lexington/North of the Mass. Pike region invite you to apply to lead this warm and engaging early childhood center.
The Director serves as Program Administrator, overseeing the successful operation of the Center:
- Implement best practices related to secular and Jewish early childhood education.
- Implement all directives, policies, and procedures established by local, state, and federal laws, regulations, and mandates related to the operation of a nonprofit childcare Center, in addition to those bylaws and policies established by the Preschool’s Board of Directors.
Our Director will have opportunities to reinforce and build Program Planning & Development capacities:
- Provide for the safety & well-being of all children, per regulations (Massachusetts Department of Early Education & Care (EEC), State & Local Depts. of Health, etc.).
- Ensure the smooth operation of a professional, well-run program that serves the educational, developmental, and Jewish cultural needs of the children and their families.
- Guide, support, & supervise staff in their instructional curriculum development, planning, child assessments, and ongoing ability to meet the individual and collective needs of the children.
- Inspire and lead our staff! Provide all Preschool administrators and educators the direction, supervision, and oversight to become an even more cohesive and motivated team who, together, develop and maintain a cooperative and supportive professional atmosphere.
- Offer staff the structure and resources to create an environment of curiosity, lifelong learning, and ongoing professional development. Work with staff individually and collectively to establish and implement professional development goals.
- Hire, train, orient, supervise (schedule, observe), support, and evaluate a high-performing team of teachers, student teachers, volunteers, and other personnel. Conduct regularly scheduled staff meetings and ensure all staff are up to date with certifications and required trainings.
Our Director will help increase enrollment, expand active-learning opportunities in our school and community, and enlarge our children’s, families’, and staff’s sense of kehillah (“community”).
- Create excitement in the community! Market the program, generate and follow-up on enrollment leads, and work with families to find appropriate educational and financial options.
- Shape the Preschool’s strategy by working with the Treasurer and Board to create and adhere to an annual operating and capital budget to run the Center in a sustainable and fiscally responsible manner. Prepare and submit grants as opportunities arise to receive additional funding in support of our program.
- Be part of Temple Emunah’s team! Collaborate with clergy and synagogue educators on programming & curriculum opportunities, work with Temple office & bookkeeper, & coordinate areas of partnerships, e.g., maintenance/grounds, Covid policy, use of space, security.
- Bring energy to the family community by communicating clearly and consistently with families, harnessing volunteer energy, and supporting parent enrichment and social events.
Physical requirements: the joy of the Director position is spending time in an environment with fantastic colleagues and wonderful children. The Director must be able to sit on the floor and reach and bend to a child’s level for sustained periods of time every day. The Director must be able to assist or lift a child up to 55 pounds, if necessary, and have the stamina to maintain sustained activity and the required focus to effectively supervise the Center environment.
Preferred Job Requirements:
- Master’s degree in a relevant field, with some coursework in early childhood education (ECE) program administration
- EEC Director Certification 2 or Qualified for Certification
- Minimum Preferred Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field ECE, child development)
- EEC Director I Certification or Qualified for Certification
- In lieu of the above degrees, extensive ECE program management experience (at least 5 years) with a record of maintaining excellence and actively working towards a degree
- ECE classroom-based experience in the form of employment
Director Compensation and Key Benefits:
- $90,000 – $100,000+, depending on experience and qualifications
- 12-month position, including summer months for planning and professional development (the Director position does not include directing summer programs/camp).
- 10 days of paid time off per year, commensurate with school schedule + 5 additional days of PTO to be taken on approved school/working days
- Days off for most secular and Jewish holidays
- Eligibility for Temple Emunah’s health insurance program, including a significant subsidy of the insurance premiums
- Eligibility for retirement plan contribution from the Preschool
Further details about the position are available upon inquiry. Please send a resume/CV and cover letter to apply. We look forward to hearing from you at [email protected]!