Congregation Neveh Shalom (CNS) is a vibrant and energetic egalitarian Conservative congregation in Portland, Oregon, serving over 800 member households. For 150 years, we have worked together to build a community of connection; a house for people of diverse backgrounds, orientations, genders, and viewpoints. We offer a variety of religious services for all ages and stages on Friday nights, Shabbat mornings, and holidays. There are lively and inclusive weekly kiddush lunches, and a daily morning minyan. The synagogue is widely recognized for its large nationally-accredited early childhood education preschool, robust and innovative K-6 ALIYAH education and 7-12 Tichon Hebrew high school programs, adult education, and cultural and social offerings.
MISSION – THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR POSITION
The Executive Director serves as the Chief Executive Officer of Congregation Neveh Shalom (CNS) and works in collaboration with the clergy, Assistant Executive Director, staff, Synagogue President, and Board of Directors to fulfill our mission: To foster and preserve an inclusive, authentic, and engaging experience of Conservative Judaism.
This position directs all aspects of CNS’s administrative, financial, and business operations including building operations, security, and maintenance, ensuring that operations are consistent with CNS’s Vision, Mission, and Values.
The Executive Director fosters key relationships with all CNS stakeholders and maintains an active leadership presence throughout the congregation.
The core competencies we are looking for in a candidate include:
- Leadership and Creativity: Effective in directing, persuading, and motivating others; able to flex style/approach and successfully promotes and sustains a warm and inviting culture that meets or exceeds member expectations.
- Community Builder: Able to build bridges throughout an inclusive and diverse multi-generational membership by creating effective professional relationships and communications.
- People Management and Interpersonal Skills: Models collaboration by working effectively with lay leaders and an active and engaged board. Builds organizational strength through developing and managing professional staff. Creates a positive and productive environment.
- Financial Management: Applies strong analytical skills, business acumen, and the ability to communicate financial data to maintain the current strong and stable financial foundation for the long-term financial health of the congregation.
- Strategic Thinking: Sets and articulates compelling visions and ensures the organization is structured and on track to achieve strategic goals. Thinks holistically, seeing the big picture while keeping the details constantly in view. Pursues strategies and solutions consistent with our congregation’s defining values.
ROLE AND FUNCTIONS OF THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
- The Executive Director leads and supervises the Assistant Executive Director and Directors of Programming, Congregational Learning, Foundation School, Finance, and Facilities who manage a large professional team of teachers, tutors, and operational staff. The Executive Director must also develop and maintain a constructive co-leadership relationship with the clergy team and lay Board of Directors. This position reports to the synagogue’s Personnel Committee comprised of the current Board President, officers, and Immediate-Past President.
- Oversees a robust, consultative planning process to establish and periodically update long-term strategic priorities. Develops annual operating plans and resource allocations consistent with the synagogue’s mission, core values, and priorities.
- Collaborates with staff to implement directives and policy decisions; tracks and provides timely progress reports. Develops systems to ensure CNS’s policies, operating procedures, and institutional knowledge are accessible and current.
- Is actively engaged with and available to congregants and various committee chairs, addressing operational and organizational feedback and concerns. Delivers timely policy advice and recommendations.
- In consultation with the Finance Committee, Treasurer, and Finance Director, manages CNS’s financial planning, budgeting, forecasting, accounting, collections, and reporting. Supports committees with timely pertinent financial information and forecasting.
- Maintains efficient and effective financial systems and controls to safeguard the assets of CNS and comply with internal policies and applicable laws.
Human Resources Management:
- Leads, supervises, and inspires CNS’s staff, both individually and as a cohesive team. Fosters a collaborative work environment built on trust, clear expectations, communication, and accountability that attracts, retains, and motivates a diverse cast of top-quality professionals.
- Oversees recruitment and onboarding of new employees. Maintains and updates employee job descriptions. Develops and communicates clear performance and professional development goals. Implements performance review processes, including performance management, as necessary.
Fundraising and Development:
- Collaborates with staff, committee, and department stakeholders to develop long-range fundraising goals and to plan and execute fundraising initiatives.
- Ensures donor intention and legal requirements are met. Actively and effectively engages in donor stewardship and endowment building.
Programming and Membership:
- Partners with clergy, staff, board, and lay leadership to establish a holistic vision for a Jewish congregational experience that is engaging and enriching.
- Plans and oversees the operational logistics of religious services.
- Works alongside staff and committees to facilitate congregant engagement and membership value through additional offerings including structured education for all ages, informal programming, interest groups, outreach, volunteer opportunities, and life cycle events.
Safety, Communications, and Technology:
- Develops, maintains, and implements comprehensive security plans and strategies, in partnership with internal stakeholders, neighbors, security advisors, and law enforcement to safeguard CNS’s physical and virtual spaces while sustaining a welcoming environment.
- Oversees acquisition, deployment, and maintenance of computer, security, and communications software, equipment, and infrastructure, ensuring that systems are current, appropriately scaled, and secure, and that end-user training and support is readily available to staff and clergy.
- Oversees use, maintenance, promotion, and operation of CNS facilities and cemeteries. Proactively establishes and manages relationships with families and external entities utilizing CNS facility rentals.
- Establishes and maintains a current understanding of Portland’s social, economic, and political trends with an eye toward anticipating opportunities and challenges for CNS.
- Maintains and expands relationships with local Jewish, interfaith, government, and civic organizations.
- Oversees a comprehensive communications plan providing timely, engaging, and accessible information to congregants and relevant external audiences.
EDUCATION, SKILLS AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- Familiar with Jewish ritual, holiday, and life-cycle traditions
- A Bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited college or university
- At least 8 years of demonstrated professional leadership experience, with significant financial planning, budgeting, forecasting, reporting, and management
- Exceptionally strong written and oral communications skills; proficiency or ability to learn relevant computer applications and tools
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary range: $120,000 – $150,000 depending on experience and qualifications
Benefits: Health Insurance, Retirement Plan with employer contribution, Professional Development allowance and paid Professional Dues, complimentary Synagogue Membership, Religious School tuition discount, Paid Vacation/Sick leave/Family leave, Paid Holidays
STATEMENT ON HIRING QUALIFICATIONS
Neveh Shalom is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. Studies show that women and people of underrepresented groups tend to apply for jobs only when they meet 100% of the posted qualifications. In reality, successful candidates very rarely meet ALL requested qualifications. We encourage potential applicants matching a significant percentage to apply.
Questions: Please direct nominations and any questions about this opportunity to: [email protected]