Israel Program Associate
Hillel of Metro Detroit
Hillel of Metro Detroit (HMD), a vibrant and innovative Jewish campus organization, seeks an individual who thrives on creating meaningful connections and conversations to be our new Israel Program Associate.
Who We Are
Hillel of Metro Detroit aspires to be a meaningful, relevant, and dynamic organization that engages hundreds of local Jewish college-aged students throughout the Detroit metropolitan area. HMD enriches Jewish identity, furthers Jewish journeys, and inspires involvement in the community.
HMD provides students at six local colleges and universities dynamic opportunities to explore Judaism, develop leadership skills, and build enduring connections to Jewish life, to each other and to the Jewish community. HMD makes a difference for today and tomorrow. We focus on creating a welcoming community with Judaism- infused programming that will help students form positive Jewish memories, build strong Jewish identities, and acquire the skills to become leaders in their local Jewish communities.
The Israel Program Associate at HMD is a full-time position, responsible for engagement and program development at multiple HMD commuter campuses and for 18–29-year-old Jewish young adults in the Detroit metropolitan area.
The Israel Program Associate provides ongoing support to Israel-related student groups, helps promote Israel on campus, educates students about Israel, encourages student relationships with Israel, and recruits for Israel experiences. Included in the responsibilities for this position is nurturing leadership development, event marketing and implementation, and furthering community relations.
This individual will report to the Associate Director and will work with the program team to establish specific goals and evaluate progress.
Who You Are
- You have a Bachelor’s degree or comparable experience.
- You have extensive knowledge of and experience with Israel.
- You know how to follow through with multiple projects simultaneously.
- You are familiar with web-based applications.
- You are comfortable embracing your own Judaism (or you are actively figuring that out).
- You have strong oral, written, and non-verbal communication skills, with a particular talent for active listening.
- You have the ability to work flexible hours needed to complete job requirements, including some nights, weekends, and holidays.
- You can think big and creatively and help inspire students to do the same. Nothing is too big to tackle.
- You are a relationship builder. You are constantly meeting new people, interested in learning about them and their passions.
- You are passionate and excited about college students and helping them learn about Israel.
What You’ll Do
- Act as the Israel resource for all HMD schools and events, with current and relevant material.
- Develop strategic relationships regarding Israel with other student groups on campus.
- Work with students to produce campus-wide programming that will favorably promote and educate about Israel.
- The primary staff advisor for all current Students for Israel groups.
- Build the current groups and develop new groups on other campuses.
- Develop individual relationships with student leaders to further their passion for Israel and motivate them as they advocate for Israel.
- Cultivate Birthright Israel alumni to be active communal participants.
- Coordinate all HMD Maccabee Task Force initiatives.
- Entice uninvolved Jewish students to learn about Israel through meaningful personal interaction.
- Promote Israel educational opportunities.
- Recruit for Birthright Israel and other Israel experiences.
- Coordinate logistics related to these trips and among partner agencies.
- Collaborate with other Israel focused organizations to benefit HMD students.
- Other HMD staff related responsibilities.
What You’ll Get Out of It
- Professional development to enhance skills and gain expertise in different areas.
- A comprehensive benefits package.
- Competitive salary in the nonprofit marketplace commensurate with relevant experience. The salary range for this role is $35,000 - $40,000.
A Typical Day May Include
- Meeting with a group of students to discuss Israel, current events, and how they are looking to be involved on campus and helping them to create a program around that.
- Have a brainstorming session with the staff on new ways to engage students about Israel.
- Staff an Israel learning program with 20 students who are eager to learn and expand their knowledge about Israel.
- Assist students in creating marketing materials for upcoming programs and thinking of ways to increase involvement.
Governance and Affiliations
Hillel of Metro Detroit is overseen by a local Board of Governors who are responsible for the fiduciary well-being of the organization and its vision.
Hillel of Metro Detroit is a local partner agency of the Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Detroit (JFMD). JFMD works with 17 agencies to reach and serve the needs of people at every age and stage of life in the Jewish community of Metropolitan Detroit, in Israel and around the world.
Hillel of Metro Detroit is affiliated with Hillel International. Hillel International enriches the lives of Jewish students so they may enrich the Jewish people and the world and envisions a world where every student is inspired to make an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning and Israel.
Please submit applications via www.jobs.hillel.org
Please include in one document:
- Comprehensive resume featuring all significant experiences since high school (no more than 2 pages) that includes contact information for up to 3 professional references.
- Cover letter (no more than 1 page) expressing interest in the position.
Please upload this document as a word or PDF file. When you upload the document, the system will create an unformatted version of your resume as a snapshot in your application. The formatted version of your resume will also be attached to your application and will be used during the hiring process.
About Hillel International
In 1923, Rabbi Benjamin Frankel started Hillel with humble means, a noble mission and a breathtaking vision: to convey Jewish civilization to a new generation. Today, Hillel International continues to enrich the lives of Jewish students and is the largest Jewish campus organization in the world at more than 550 colleges and universities across North America and around the world. As Hillel evolves as an organization, the mission remains steadfast: to create lasting connections with every Jewish student that foster an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning, and Israel and train them to become the next Jewish leaders.
Hillel is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an accepting and inclusive environment for all.