A primary function of this and every other job at “The J” is to ensure by whatever rational and legal means necessary that each member, guest, and visitor leaves The J feeling just a little better than when they arrived.
Supervisor: Senior Director of Jewish Living and Engagement
The Tucson Jewish Community Center, also known as, “The J” is the town square for Jewish life in Tucson, Arizona where everyone belongs and some join. Guided by values rooted in Jewish tradition, we are open to all people of all ages. Our 115,000 square feet complex, built in 1989, houses a variety of programs each day, such as our state-of-the-art Fitness Center, Early Childhood Education program for children from six weeks through five years, Taglit, a day-program for adults with special needs. Through a recent merger with Arts for All, the J proudly offers services for those with disabilities beyond the walls of the J. Our facility includes a variety of multi-use spaces, including a ballroom, kosher demonstration kitchen, sculpture garden, fine arts gallery, gymnasium, fitness center, tennis courts, pool, splash park, café, indoor play space and more! When you enter our building, you will feel the vibrant buzz that radiates through the building each day. We also seek to meet people where they are in the community, beyond the walls of the J.
The J practices radical inclusivity and is a safe non-judgmental space for all. Our community is incredibly diverse with families and individuals self-identifying as: “Just Jewish,” Not Jewish, Culturally Jewish/ Secular/ Humanist, Jewish by Birth, Reform, Conservative, Orthodox, multi-faith, Israeli American, Jews of Color, LGBTQ+/Queer, single-parent, people with disabilities/disabled, low-income, middle-income, and affluent. The J welcomes the participation of self-identifying people of diverse identities.
We are looking to find a Cultural Programs Specialist to join our growing Jewish Living and Engagement team. As an agency, we aim to meet people where they are on their personal Jewish journey and to help them lead the meaningful Jewish lives they seek. Our team actively plays a role in this effort.
Our ideal Cultural Programs Specialist is passionate about people, building community, and is a nimble learner. This person has strong interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills.
Key position responsibilities include:
- Manage the Tucson J International Film Festival such as –
- Communicate with film distributors
- Maintain records of screening links and passwords
- Create film review sheets for those who are screening potential festival entries
- Become an expert at our box office and virtual streaming platform
- Screen films and research post-film program ideas
- Participate in virtual networking opportunities with the Jewish Film Presenters’ Network
- Update donor spreadsheet
- Manage virtual platform and box office
- Be present at weekly committee meetings and sub-committee meetings
- Run the January Festival and other year-round screenings, as well as associated post-film programs
- Become a concierge – meet community members, build relationships, and serve as a connector between people, programs, and initiatives.
- Nurture and help create activity for approximately five micro-communities (including but not limited to; Young Adults, Jewish Artists Group, Torah Study Group, First Friday Shabbat, Hiking Group, Service-Learning Crew, etc).
- Be a face of the Jewish Life and Learning programs at cultural programs.
- Set up and manage the PJ Library Table at various offsite locations with the intent to both increase enrollment and stay connected with families currently enrolled.
- Participate in learning opportunities, primarily through JCC Association of North America, to better understand evolving trends in Jewish life.
- Ensure that Jewish Living programs are placed on the Jewish community calendar in a timely manner.
This position is a full-time exempt position and is covered by the code of the Personnel Practices for Professional Staff.