This is a full-time position beginning in July 2023
The Rav Beit HaSefer for the Solomon Schechter Day School is responsible for serving as the Jewish voice and the religious and spiritual leader of the School. The Conservative rabbi in this position reports to the Head of School and is part of the Hanhala, the school’s senior leadership team.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Duties of this job include, but are not limited to:
- Serving as a positive role model of Conservative Judaism for students, families, faculty and staff with regard to both Jewish values and observance.
- Serving as the mara d’atra for the school, including setting religious policies, standards of Kashrut and responsibility for supervision of Kashrut.
- Representing the school at the Rabbinical Assembly and other Jewish communal venues in the Chicago area.
- Attending, speaking, and teaching at spiritual and ceremonial events in the school.
- Serving as a resource for faculty and staff members.
- Co-Teaching with both General and Judaic Studies teachers, integrating Jewish values and content across all disciplines.
- Overseeing the K-8 T’fillah program and curriculum which includes working closely with the T’fillah educators and teachers and being a regular presence at t’fillot and Likrat Shabbat.
- Collaboratively shaping the future vision for the Judaic Studies program and school-wide holiday programming, working closely with the Judaic Studies Coordinator and members of the Educational Leadership Team and teacher leaders who are responsible for implementation.
- Engaging parents and families around the Jewish mission of the school through building relationships, teaching, and experiential programming.
- Teaching Judaic Studies
Salary: starting at $85,000, depending on experience
Benefits Include: Vacation, Sick and Personal Days, Parental Leave, Medical, Dental, Vision and Life Insurance, Voluntary Long-Term Disability Insurance, 403(b) Retirement Plan, Kosher Food Available, Leave Early for Shabbat
Conservative Rabbinical Ordination from Accredited Conservative Rabbinical Seminary is required.
Values: Demonstrates sensitivity and commitment to the Jewish community and integrates and upholds the Jewish values and ethics of the Solomon Schechter Day School.
Integrity: Respects and maintains strict confidentiality, incorporates courtesy and professionalism in all interactions in order to build mutual trust and respect with staff, Head of School, Board members, parent body, and students.
Leadership: Demonstrates ability to lead, motivate and encourage community members.
Passion: Exudes and brings passion and joy for Jewish living to the entire school community