Director of Education and Family Engagement
Beth El Temple
West Hartford, CT
Beth El Temple is the largest Conservative synagogue in Connecticut, located in vibrant, suburban West Hartford. We support a diverse, family-friendly synagogue community, embracing people of all ages, backgrounds and sexual orientations. Our clergy and educators work to help all our members on their personal journeys, encouraging active participation and a sense of comfort in all facets of synagogue life.
We are seeking a new Director of Education and Family Engagement to work in collaboration with our clergy team. The successful candidate is a creative educator and a dynamic leader and relationship builder who will develop pioneering programming that educates and nurtures our youth from birth to age 18.
The Director will head up SULAM, our award-winning K-7 supplementary religious school; build on and strengthen our existing youth, family and teen programs; serve as liaison to teen and family programs serving the Greater Hartford Jewish community; and administer our B'nei Mitzvah program. This candidate will be passionate about all that Conservative Judaism can offer Beth El families.
Education Responsibilities Overview
Beth El Temple launched SULAM (Seek, Understand, Learn, Act, and Marvel) in 2017 as a way to re-imagine all that Jewish education could offer today’s busy, yet Jewishly-caring, families. Since that time, the curriculum has grown and changed, but one thing has remained the same: our hands-on, project-based approach designed to meet individual learners’ and families’ needs, while maintaining our high standards and educational goals. Our learners progress as their abilities allow and advance upon mastery of educational objectives. As part of SULAM responsibilities, the Director will:
Oversee all administrative and organizational aspects of SULAM, including budget, hiring, policies and procedures, calendaring and enrollment;
Implement current curriculum and develop new offerings;
Supervise SULAM educators, staff, teen Madrichim, and a Hebrew specialist;
Foster the meaningful inclusion of learners with special needs;
Serve as the primary point of contact with parents/caretakers partnering with them to ensure their children’s needs are met and to foster deeper connections with our Beth El community;
Recruit and integrate new families into SULAM;
Coordinate external communications with our Marketing Director;
Integrate SULAM activities into Beth El Temple life.
B'nei Mitzvah Program Responsibilities Overview:
Our B’nei Mitzvah program is an important part of the SULAM experience. Responsibilities include assigning dates and tutors, tracking student progress and providing follow-up as necessary. The Director works with our Solomon Schechter Day School families to make sure their B'nei Mitzvah experience is seamless. Logistical event arrangements are managed by the Executive Director.
Youth and Family Engagement Responsibilities Overview:
The Director will help advance our synagogue's programs for families with children, birth through age 12, by working collaboratively with our clergy, professional staff, and volunteer leadership. These programs often serve as an entry point into the synagogue and as a way to enhance the connection between SULAM and the congregation as a whole. In addition, they play a key role in integrating our SULAM families with our members whose children attend the local Solomon Schechter Day School.
- Organize services, programs and events on Shabbat and holidays, in collaboration with the Assistant Rabbi and Engagement Coordinator;
- Identify opportunities to create get-togethers for young children, teens, and families – separately and together – to celebrate all that being Jewish means;
- Build strong relationships with youth and families.
Teen Engagement Responsibilities Overview:
The Greater Hartford Jewish Community offers a USY chapter and also JT Connect, a post-B'nei Mitzvah program for the entire Jewish community. The Director will serve as liaison to both programs and will work to develop other engagement opportunities for teens in our Beth El community and for post-high school graduates in our volunteer-led College Connection Program.
- Demonstrated ability to develop, lead and manage a cutting-edge curriculum and programs using a holistic approach to Conservative Jewish education;
- Bachelor's degree required, Masters in Jewish Education or related field preferred;
- Minimum of 3-5 years' experience in education and/or work in the Jewish community; supervisory management experience preferred;
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships with youth, teens, families, colleagues and community leaders;
- Excellent project management and program planning and execution skills;
- Strong oral and written communication skills;
- Possess a strong Jewish background with facility in Hebrew;
- Have a clear understanding of Beth El Temple's values and how they should align with decision-making, motivation, relationships, leadership and job performance;
- A team-player who demonstrates the ability to work collaboratively with clergy and other educators, staff and volunteers to achieve goals;
- Understanding of and ability to work within departmental budget;
- Strong skills in Microsoft Office, social media platforms, eblasts and other communication tools to be used in conjunction with the Director of Marketing;
- Track record of championing diversity, equity and inclusion;
- Willingness to be an active, regular presence on Shabbat and Jewish holidays. In order to maintain work-life balance, the Director will have a regular weekday off;
- Exemplify the warm, welcoming Community You Can Believe In mission and values of Beth El Temple.
The salary range for this full-time position is $100,000-$135,000 commensurate with experience.
Benefits include four weeks paid time off, most Federal and State holidays, paid Connecticut Family and Medical Leave, professional development allowance with related days off, allowance for snow/lawn care. We offer an option to participate in medical, dental and pension plans.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to: [email protected]
Anticipated start date: July 1, 2023, but open to earlier start dates.