TITLE: Director of Community Engagement
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
FUNCTION: The Jewish Federation of Greater Dallas (JFGD) is seeking a Director of Community Engagement. We are looking for an enthusiastic, passionate, welcoming and engaging, self-starting Jewish community builder who will inspire, shape, and energetically and strategically connect area Jews with one another and with JFGD, enhancing Federation’s presence and impact in the Greater Dallas area through partnership with community members, local and national agencies, donors, congregational Rabbi’s and key communal leadership. As the Director of Community Engagement, you will help weave our diverse community together and serve as the “Community Concierge” for all things Jewish in Dallas and North Texas.
The Director of Community Engagement should have three key areas of skills/experience:
- Relentless relationship builder and network weaver - ability to connect with anyone and understand the next steps that deepen relationships to inspire, engage others, and encourage leadership.
- Strategic programmer - experience, confidence, and organization skills to initiate and facilitate meaningful engagement opportunities, comfort in asking questions, and seeking to continuously improve practices.
- Data Informed Storyteller - comfort in utilizing relationship-tracking databases, implementing best practices, achieving measurable goals, and leveraging those metrics to tell dynamic stories of impact.
REPORTS TO: Chief Operating Officer
SUPERVISES: Engagement Associate
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Oversee the ongoing implementation and assessment of JFGD’s engagement strategy
- Secure and conduct a high volume of 1:1 meetings with community leaders and other social influencers that build relationships, connect individuals and micro-communities to JFGD, and identify/develop opportunities for volunteer leadership
- Develop those key relationships with an eye toward synergetic collaborations with area Jewish communal professionals and invested lay leaders from JFGD and other area Jewish agencies
- Contribute to the development of JFGD’s recruitment strategy for Missions, our Dallas Israel Teen Tour, and other immersive experiences, as well as for signature city-wide events of the Federation
- Develop and share extensive knowledge of the local Jewish community, programs and institutions
- Act as a Jewish community resource, identify and connect individuals and families with the opportunity to live Jewishly in the Greater Dallas and North Texas area, especially the newcomers to the community.
- Reach out generally to large Dallas/North Texas area institutions, businesses and organizations to inform their members and employees about the opportunities for engagement within the Jewish community
Program Leadership and Support
- Develop and implement effective outreach programs for underserved demographics and outlying geographies
- Partner with the team to create marketing/engagement initiatives that build JFGD’s overall brand across the diversity of demographics within our Jewish community.
- Modify existing programs to incorporate outreach best practices used to engage the disengaged
- Work in partnership with the philanthropy team and other departments of the Federation to ensure collaboration and synergy of campaign and outreach initiatives
- Supervise junior engagement staff to increase the breadth of Federation programming, and overall reach
- Monitor the community calendar to identify key programs by partner agencies where the Federation should have presence, and help determine what that presence should include
- Assist with budget preparation and monitoring for the outreach budget
- Perform other duties as assigned
Education: Bachelor’s Degree required. Master’s degree in Jewish Studies or other related field a plus.
Experience: Minimum of 5-7 years of professional experience working in community building, client services, events and programming, sales and/or relationship management is preferred. Experience in nonprofit leadership, Jewish experiential education or other areas of Jewish communal service is a plus. Knowledge of Jewish customs and traditions is required.
- An entrepreneurial spirit - you understand that even when things don’t go accordingly to plan, ambiguity is part of developing great new opportunities, and you learn from experience
- Strong communication skills; effective at communicating with a variety of stakeholders
- Demonstrated ability to learn quickly, create effective systems/processes, juggle multiple tasks, and adhere to deadlines in a lively, fast-paced work environment
- A commitment to pluralism and comfort with different Jewish identities empowering you to work effectively with the full diversity of Jewish community
- An understanding that JFGD professionals work non-traditional hours in an exciting environment that cares for employee wellness and satisfaction
- Contagious and authentic Jewish passion
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- An outgoing personality and willingness to reach out to others individually by phone, mail, email and in public presentations
- Experience developing, nurturing, and executing programs
- Be self-motivated, curious, and innovative
- Community organizing experience
- In possession or capable of rapidly developing strong knowledge of the Dallas and/or broader Texas Jewish community
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office, especially Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Strong online research, organizational, and time management skills
- Collaborative spirit and team player with a positive attitude
- Ability to foster and maintain effective, collaborative relationships with professionals and lay leaders outside of the Federation
- Ability to organize, monitor, and track numerous ongoing and one-time activities, events, and projects with limited supervision
- Ability to handle stress
ADDITIONAL JOB INFORMATION
? Employees of Jewish Federation of Greater Dallas are expected, as required in their specific job functions, to participate in activities, meetings, and committees; to interact and work cooperatively to accomplish various goals; to represent oneself and Jewish Federation of Greater Dallas in a positive, professional manner; and to safeguard sensitive or confidential information from intentional or unintentional disclosure.
The Jewish Federation of Greater Dallas offers generous paid time off, paid time off for both national holidays and Jewish holidays, and a choice of 8 healthcare plans including HSA and Dependent Care HSA options.