Category: Full-time (37.5 hrs), Hourly
Supervisor: Ken Schnur, Executive Director
Date Created: January 14, 2022
Send Resume to: [email protected]
Start date: ASAP
Come and join our dynamic administrative team at Congregation Netivot Shalom, a Conservative, egalitarian congregation in Berkeley, to help us strengthen and grow our community. We are looking for a vibrant, energetic, tech-savvy individual for the challenging role of Office & Communications Assistant.
The Office & Communication Assistant provides a wide variety of functions to support and be a part of the management team of Netivot Shalom, including but not limited to: office operations, logistics, correspondence and reception, accounts payable and receivable, and assisting in devising and implementing Netivot Shalom’s online and social media presence.
This is an evolving position, which may grow to include supervising other staff, our many volunteers as well as contractors and service providers.
Essential Job Duties / Responsibilities:
- Present a friendly public face for each of our members and guests and assist appropriately, in person, over the phone and online
- Manage correspondence with members. Prepare newsletters and emails
- Assist in designing and update the Congregation’s website
- Draft letters and correspondence
- Process accounts payable and receivable
- Enter data, filter and run reports in database systems, assist and process membership information
- Manage the calendar system, including for the Rabbi, the Executive Director and the synagogue as a whole
- Maintain office files, including paper and shared electronic files
- Draft and implement procedures for office systems
- Purchase and stock office supplies
- Operate and maintain a wide variety of office equipment including computers, copiers, printers
Other duties as needed and assigned.
Education, Skills, and Experience:
- Minimum of two years working as an office assistant, administrative assistant or similar field, working in non-profit and/or Jewish organization preferred
- Experience in providing administrative support to complex and diverse projects
- Strong customer service skills and knowledge of business/office operations
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to operate well at all levels of the organization and establish strong relationships with staff, congregants and other stakeholders of all ages
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Strong oral and written communication skills; experience copy-editing or proofreading
- Strong problem-solving skills; the ability to exercise sound judgment and make decisions based on accurate and timely analyses
- A passion for excellence
- High level of integrity and dependability with a strong sense of urgency and results-orientation
- The ability to engage, motivate and inspire others
- Strong teaching/mentoring skills
- A strong, well-developed sense of humor
- Knowledge of operating standard office equipment and programs, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe Acrobat, Photoshop, Google Platform Programs (Drive, Sheets, Docs, Slides, Forms), ShulCloud or comparable CRM, Zoom, Canva, YouTube
- Ability to work at a computer workstation for periods up to 4 hours at a time
- Ability to speak on the telephone on and off for a total of up to 4 hours per day
The hourly rate is $22-$28 per hour, commensurate with experience and qualifications. The benefits package currently includes paid holidays—Jewish and secular, sick leave, 3 weeks of vacation leave and medical and dental benefits.
About the Organization:
Netivot Shalom began in 1989 and grew out of our founding members’ collective commitment to creating an egalitarian spiritual home for Conservative/Masorti Jews in Berkeley, California. We are members who are Jewish and not, Jews-by-choice, interfaith families, multiracial, multicultural, married, single, families and individuals, LGBTQ+, straight, old, and young. We explicitly recognize and cherish each other as teachers and students.
For more information, please visit our website www.netivotshalom.org
Congregation Netivot Shalom is an Equal Opportunity Employer.