- Lesson plan and co-teach daily in Jewish Enrichment 3-6pm (50%)
- Plan and implement School’s Out Camps (50%)
How will you do those things?
- Lesson plan and teach daily in afterschool enrichment M-F from 3-6pm
- Weekly text study for your own learning and lesson planning preparations
- Weekly supervision with Center City Director
- Plan and Facilitate programming for children in grades PreK-5 (ages 4-10) during camp days (winter break, spring, break, summer camp, noon dismissals, etc.)
- Communicate with parents about camp days to share plans and answer questions
- Monitor camp day parent form submission
- Model and help build Makom Community culture around intentionality, listening, Hebrew language, and rich Jewish content
- Participate in regular goal setting and reflections
- Build strong relationships with students and families
- Team of Center City & South Philadelphia educators and directors as you create your daily classroom experience and camp plans
South Philadelphia Director to share camp plans for them to implement in South Philadelphia
- Communications Manager to share information about upcoming camp days
- Team of educators who can bring their ideas to you camp day planning, too
Is this you?
- Want to create immersive Jewish experiences for kids 4-10 years old?
- Want to be a part of a supportive team who will help you build and staff incredible camp experiences?
- Want to be nurtured as a professional?
- Do you love having a job where you can work from big picture to implementation AND work directly with kids?
Makom Community is a Jewish enrichment center that creates family-centered Jewish experiences where parents are empowered to build a Jewish life that is personally meaningful for their family, where the noise of children is welcome, and where it is safe for parents to learn alongside children. We cultivate fluency and comfort in Jewish tradition through our inspirational and cutting-edge youth and family experiences. Not only is Makom Community a Jewish community committed to creating a more just world, we’re also committed to building a Jewish community that is truly open to anyone who wishes to engage with Jewish traditions alongside their family.
Experience, Skills, & Education Required:
- 1-3 years experience with children
- Love of and connection to Jewish learning
- Creative planner of programming who loves to work from a big idea through to detailed implementation
- Have or obtain all appropriate background checks within 30 days of hire
Experience, Skills, & Education Desired:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Hebrew Language familiarity
- Observer of people and interactions
Salary & Benefits
Salary range: $36,000-40,000 15 days of vacation, closed for Jewish holidays and most national holidays. 5 days of sick time. Funding is available for professional development.
Makom Community transforms Jewish Education by creating and modeling experiential and intentional learning environments in collaboration with educators, children, and their families. Our pedagogy for Jewish Education celebrates curiosity and questioning of Jewish wisdom. Our roots in Jewish tradition are a springboard for children to be kind, confident, and resilient leaders today and in the future. We listen deeply to children’s voices as they build community where they love to be. Through our experiences together, Makom Community is committed to creating a more just world as an outgrowth of our Jewish learning. We are nurturing a Jewish community that is open to anyone who wants to engage with Jewish life alongside their family.
Quick Facts about Makom Community
- Daily, High-Quality Jewish Education as Afterschool Enrichment
- Children Ages 4-10 in Center City and South Philadelphia (Pre-K through 5th grade)
- 5th-7th Grade Students in our BMitzvah Program in Center City
- Project-Based and Child-Led Learning
- School’s Out Camps During School Vacations, Snow Days, and Early Dismissals
- Growing Model of Family and adult learning and holiday services
Makom Community takes COVID safety very seriously. We will continue to exceed CDC’s recommendations for how we handle COVID safety with our on-site educators and students. We expect staff and students will be masked through at least summer and fall. Currently, our whole staff team is vaccinated. We are able to offer support to get you vaccinated if you are not yet. This is a fully in-person role in our site in Center City Philadelphia.
To apply: Send a cover letter telling us about your experience, a resume, and three references to Beverly Socher-Lerner, Founding Director [email protected] with “Educator & Camp Coordinator” in the subject line.
Makom Community is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We welcome employees and prospective employees without regard to race, religion, national origin, gender, age, disability, marital status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation or veteran status.