Director of Programming & Operations
For over 100 years, Beth Samuel Jewish Center (BSJC) has served the Jewish community of Western Pennsylvania. Beth Samuel is the last remaining synagogue in western Allegheny and Beaver Counties. We take a contemporary approach to Jewish life which integrates a deep respect for traditional Judaism with the insights and ideas of contemporary social, intellectual, and spiritual life. We welcome Jews by birth or choice and multi-faith families. We have a thriving membership of 75+ families and a religious school with more than a dozen students ranging from pre-school to 7th grade. More information about Beth Samuel can be found at bethsamuel.org.
The Director of Programming & Operations (DPO) at Beth Samuel Jewish Center (BSJC) is responsible for overseeing the day-to-day operations of the synagogue. This position works directly with the Spiritual Leader, the Board of Directors, Religious School Teachers, and all Committee Chairs to aid in the development and implementation of a diverse range of programming meant to enhance the lives of our members. Given the size of BSJC, the DPO has a diverse range of responsibilities ranging from tactical daily operations to strategic planning.
This position is a part-time position requiring 25 to 30 hours per week.
Responsibilities, skills, and duties.
- Manage communication with both members and non-members through phone calls, emails (individual and group), newsletters, social media, websites, postcards, and letters
- Assist the Spiritual Leader, Board of Directors, and committees in planning, promoting, and executing programs and events (both in-person and virtual), including adult education, social events at the synagogue and other venues, and holiday celebrations
- Serve as the office manager for BSJC, including financial record keeping/bookkeeping, bill payment, quarterly and end of year member statements, check deposits, and payroll processing
- Coordinate the calendar for religious services and holiday events with the Spiritual Leader and the Religious School Director
- Manage and maintain master list of members
- Oversee day-to-day maintenance of the synagogue building and grounds, including supervising the cleaning crew and ground maintenance contractor, working with the building and grounds committee, addressing repair needs, and maintaining building and kitchen supplies. Serve as the point of contact for fire, safety, food safety, and boiler inspections.
- Manage Yahrzeits including maintaining records, ordering plaques, and sending letters
- Attend meetings including Beth Samuel Board and committee meetings (including updating the board on synagogue business), Pittsburgh Area Synagogue and Temple Executives (PASTE), and Small Congregations of Southwestern PA
- Meet and communicate with current members as needed
- Serve as the liaison to prospective members including replying to inquiries, providing tours of the building, maintaining files on prospective members, and sending and receiving new member applications
- Ensure the safety of Beth Samuel and its members by working with security alarm firm, the Jewish Federation of Pittsburgh, the Ambridge Police Department, and Beth Samuel security committee
- Regularly identify and apply for funding opportunities through grants and programs
Qualifications and requirements
- Experience with QuickBooks, MailChimp, Gusto, and Squarespace preferred
- Must be an extremely well-organized, detail-oriented problem solver
- Self-motivated with good initiative
- Experience meeting multiple deadlines
- Superior oral and written communication skills
- Proven computer skills
- Flexibility in working hours and working location