Part-time Jewish Studies Special Education Teacher
Part-time position to begin August 23, 2023
Perelman Jewish Day School, a Pre-Kindergarten to 5th Grade independent school in the Philadelphia area, is seeking a motivated team player to join our community as a Jewish Studies Special Education Teacher for the 2023-2024 School Year. This is a part-time role that will require 20-25 hours per week.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide engaging instruction in Hebrew in the key language areas of reading, writing, speaking, and listening (oral comprehension).
- Provide instruction of Jewish studies, Holidays, mitzvot, classroom tefilla, and the weekly parasha in Hebrew.
- Partner proactively with faculty and administration to support diverse learners in the areas of academic, behavioral, and social/emotional learning.
- Observe and evaluate individual students displaying academic or behavioral difficulties and assess their learning strengths and challenges.
- Participate in the development of student accommodation/learning plans with long-term goals and specific objectives.
- Collaborate with grade-level team members to plan and implement instruction, fostering student curiosity and engagement.
- Provide regular written student-progress reports to the school and parents with assessment results.
- Maintain confidential student records and keep accurate documentation of sessions, meetings, and assessments.
- Coordinate and facilitate communication between student, family, and school.
- Participate in faculty meetings and in-service professional development days.
- Perform other related duties as assigned by the Principal.
- Bachelor's degree in a related field; special education experience preferred
- Have a strong knowledge of developmental needs of young children and appropriate curricula that meet those needs.
- Fluent Hebrew speaker
- Familiarity with Jewish observances, traditions, and rituals
- Ability to teach foundational skills for Torah study
- Outstanding interpersonal and organizational skills
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
- Technology skills including Google Suite and Google Classroom
- High-energy and enthusiastic about working in the Jewish day school atmosphere
- Familiarity with the following is preferred, but not required: teaching Hebrew as a second language, teaching in a pluralistic setting, working with children in grades K-5, Responsive Classroom training
- Prolonged periods of standing to teach or sitting at a desk and working on a computer for planning, writing report cards, parent meetings, etc.
- Must be able to navigate the classroom and adjust tone and height, by bending or leaning, in order to reach each child
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times
Perelman Jewish Day School provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Compensation for this position will range from $20,000 to $35,000 and is commensurate with experience. Paid time off includes Jewish and secular holidays and two lengthy school vacations. This position is in person from late-August through mid-June.