Join our Leadership Team and Make a Difference!
Director of Refugee Services
Jewish Family Service of Greater Harrisburg is a well-established, highly respected, growing, and diverse social services agency serving all members of the Greater Harrisburg area. Our mission is to help all community members meet life's challenges and our staff is as diverse and inclusive as our programs. We are a forward-thinking mental health and social service agency dedicated to helping people achieve their full potential while honoring choice, responsibility, diversity, and Jewish values through every stage of life.
Job Summary: Under the supervision of the Executive Director, the Director of Refugee Services (DRS) will be the face of Resettlement and Refugee Services for JFS in the Central PA community. The DRS will supervise the resettlement staff, and will collaborate with JFS directors, volunteers and other local and national resettlement and governmental organizations to provide comprehensive resettlement services for newly arriving refugees and SIVs.
The Director will ensure compliance of services within grants and contracts and oversee effective delivery of case management and refugee social adjustment and integration. The DRS will oversee and maintains well-functioning systems for finance and human resources and other operational activities related to refugee resettlement, especially those services related to providing Intensive Case Management (ICM) for Medically Fragile/Unaccompanied Minor Cases.
Specific responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Ensuring that services to refugees are culturally appropriate, individually tailored, supportive of client self-sufficiency, and resulting in a high level of client satisfaction and excellent customer service.
- Implementing initiatives related to Refugee Services (RS) program development, expansion, and innovation. Help ensure that RS programs respond to changing client needs.
- Ensuring compliance for all activities including client eligibility, service provision, direct assistance, documentation and record-keeping, procurement, staff and volunteer training, cultural orientations and other contractual compliance requirements
- Developing and managing RS budgets, ensuring that required activities are accomplished within budget limits. Identify opportunities for cost reduction, donated goods and services, and other strategic sourcing. Ensure full and proper utilization of all RS funding, primarily governmental funding
- Proactively identify and promptly resolve issues impacting client service
- Work internally with the JFS Director of Mynd Works Mental Health counseling to provide mental health supports for clients, where needed
- Assisting clients with requesting financial assistance when applicable and tracking the received financial assistance within case files, including providing assistance with long-term housing and legal assistance
- Work collaboratively and in partnership with other local resettlement agencies to best serve JFS clients and all local refugees
- Perform other duties as assigned
Training, Skills, Knowledge, and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in social services or Master of Social Work from an accredited school with prior experience working with refugee, immigrant populations, master’s degree strongly preferred
- Strong desire and interest to work with immigrant and refugee populations
- Experience with various client populations
- Excellent project and data management skills
- Experience with Microsoft Office
- Problem solving, analytical, communication and crisis management skills are necessary to assist clients and/or caregivers who may be in distress.
- Ability to work in collaboration with other caseworkers, caregivers, or community service workers, social service and medical systems, courts, and attorneys
- Ukrainian or Russian language skills a plus, but not required
- A valid PA driver’s license is required.
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination required. Any employee who is pregnant, who is nursing, who has a disability, or who has a medical condition that prevents them from safe vaccination, or who rejects vaccination because of sincerely held religious beliefs, may contact the Director of Operations to request reasonable accommodation as defined by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC).
- Competitive wages; Flexible hours
- Medical/Dental/Optical Benefits after 30 days
- Ability to flex work from the office and from home
- Generous time off- 16 days PTO per year along with 6 Federal Holidays and 4-10 Jewish holidays per year
- Strong Front Office Support
- Free Life Insurance plan
- 403b plan option with Lincoln Financial
- Affordable Short-Term Disability Insurance
- Membership to the Harrisburg JCC which includes a gym and swim club
Interested applicants must be vaccinated against COVID-19 to apply and should submit a cover letter and a resume electronically to Chudney Lewis at [email protected]
We are an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, age, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status. Persons with mental or physical disabilities are eligible as long as they can perform essential functions of the job after reasonable accommodation is made to their known limitations. If the accommodation cannot be made because it would cause the employer undue hardship, such persons may not be eligible.