LOCATION: Hudson, NY
TERM: Commencing July 1, 2024
Congregation Anshe Emeth of Hudson, New York is seeking to hire a part-time Rabbi.
We are a small, inclusive Synagogue that was founded 130 years ago, located in Hudson NY, two hours north of NYC in the beautiful Hudson Valley. Hudson has been widely publicized as undergoing a significant rebirth in recent years and has been referred to by The New York Times as a “chic little city” and called “the Brooklyn of upstate New York” by Vogue.
Anshe Emeth embraces the evolving values of Jewish tradition and heritage. We strive to be a warm and welcoming community open to diverse religious backgrounds, committed to enhancing Jewish life and culture, and the principles of Tikkun Olam. Our traditions are deeply rooted in the past while honoring change as part of the Jewish experience. Our purpose is serving the religious, educational, and cultural needs of the Jewish community, as well as being a constructive participant in the general community. We are dedicated to the joyful expression of all aspects of Judaism and its rich heritage.
Congregation Anshe Emeth’s Rabbi will be retiring after over 40 years of service to the Congregation. We are looking for a dynamic and enthusiastic new Rabbi with a skillset that can help us focus on attracting new members in order to ensure that our small Congregation grows and thrives for many more decades to come. Our mission statement above reflects the values that we have adopted to move forward.
Primary responsibilities are as set forth below (with scheduling to be adjusted as needed to accommodate priorities within the confines of a half-time role).
Lead religious services, including for Shabbat (twice a month), holidays, life events (brit olam, namings, bnai mitzvot, weddings, funerals) and other rituals. We would want the successful Rabinical candidate to conduct a full torah service using the prayer books we currently use (the “New Siddur” and “New Machzor”).
Oversee a religious education program for children
Teach bnai mitzvot and conversion classes
Develop and teach meaningful and inspiring adult member and community education programs
Provide spiritual and emotional support for members, including counseling of individuals and/or families
Visit members who are sick and provide comfort to those bereaved
Membership Commitment, Development and Community Outreach
Help increase membership commitment, development and enhance our presence within the community:
- Encourage and enhance a sense of community among members
- Develop and oversee current and innovative religious and cultural programing for the synagogue and community
- Serve as the spokesperson for Anshe Emeth to the community at large
- Foster collaborative relationships with other religious and social organizations
Attend monthly Board of Trustees meetings
Participate in appropriate committee meetings such as ritual, cultural, and education
Write Shabbat message for services
Write Rabbi’s message for monthly newsletter and communicate regularly with membership by email regarding important community, or world events
- Ordination from a rabbinical seminary/program consisting of several years of study of religion, Hebrew language, liturgy and cantorial study
- Comprehensive Jewish cultural knowledge
- Strong working knowledge and proficiency in Hebrew
- Excellent verbal, communications and liturgical singing skills
- Strong leadership skills
- Computer and technology proficiency
- Strong social and cultural programing ability (and experience)
- Strong community outreach skills
- Open and welcoming to a variety of religious beliefs, practices, and observances, people of all ages, backgrounds, and circumstances
- Willingness to embrace interfaith families as well as members with varying degrees of observance
Strong candidates will also possess the following experience, qualities and/or interests:
- Strong interest in a broad range of culture and arts in order to assist in developing and/or overseeing programs which reflect our values and which will engage, welcome, and interest newcomers
- Strong interest in the greater community
- Energetic, innovative
- Warm and inviting personality
- Humility and a genuine interest in openness, connection, and collaboration with all members of the Board and congregation
- Self-starter who can function independently and forge relationships well with board, congregation and greater community
- Fundraising experience
To apply, send resume and cover letter introducing yourself and letting us know why you believe you should be the successful candidate. Materials should be sent by email to the following: [email protected]
Compensation package to include up to $50,000 salary plus housing allowance (or provision of housing after September 1, 2025). Package elements to be adjusted commensurate with agreed upon job requirements and applicant’s needs.
Congregation Anshe Emeth is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate due to race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender and/or gender identity or expression, marital or parental status, national origin, ethnicity, citizenship status, veteran or military status, age, disability, or any other legally protected basis, and to the extent permitted by law