GENERAL DESCRIPTION: The office assistant works to ensure the efficient functioning of Temple Emanu-El of Rochester and supports the congregation’s clergy, officers, and membership by performing various secretarial duties.
STARTING PAY: $18/hour.
TIME COMMITMENT: 12–15 hours/week. 12 hours in-office at the JCC on 2–3 days of the office assistant’s choosing (except Saturday); additional hours may be worked remotely.
QUALIFICATIONS: High school diploma or equivalent. Familiarity with basic concepts of Jewish ritual life, or a willingness to learn, is desired. Familiarity with QuickBooks is desired.
- Pay synagogue bills, make bank deposits, and reconcile transactions in QuickBooks
- Distribute statements to members and process pledges and donations
- Process and report payroll for Temple staff and contractors
- Assist board treasurer with financial reports
- Membership support
- Respond to or forward member correspondence to the appropriate recipients
- Mail yahrzeit cards and weekly newsletter to members as necessary
- Assist with preparations for the annual congregational meeting
- Ritual/clergy support
- Assist in logistical preparations for Shabbat and holiday services
- Maintain and update “Misheberach,” “Good & Welfare,” and yahrzeit lists
- Compile general Temple announcements for services
- Office/physical space
- Maintain and update the Temple bulletin board
- Maintain monthly calendar in the Temple office
- Coordinate room reservations and cleaning needs with JCC
ABOUT TEMPLE EMANU-EL: We are a Reform Jewish congregation in Rochester, New York. Our members are Jews by birth, Jews by choice, and those drawn to Judaism, including multiracial, LGBTQ+, and interfaith households. We see ourselves as a family where everyone’s participation is sought and appreciated. Learn more at emanuelrochester.org.