Director of Community Engagement & Jewish Life
Jewish Community Center located in Middlesex County seeks a motivated, dynamic, experienced and creative, full-time, Director of Community Engagement & Jewish Life. The successful candidate will lead and work collaboratively with the Director of Adult Enrichment and Engagement, and the Adult Enrichment & Engagement Manager, as well as with leadership and members of other local, statewide and national Jewish communal, interfaith and community service organizations, and local government agencies, to develop and implement Jewish holiday and cultural, interfaith and social action and justice community-wide programs as well as Tikkun Olam projects. Candidate is someone with exceptional skills in organization, program development and delivery, and dedication to Jewish communal, interfaith and greater community-wide enrichment and engagement. A strong candidate will interact easily with members, colleagues and the JCC community. This position reports to and will work closely with the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), and also works with liaisons on the JCC Board of Directors. The Director of Community Engagement & Jewish Life is an important member of the JCC program team, participating in development and implementation of a range of existing and new program and service initiatives. Candidates should be proactive, self-motivated, creative, caring and well-organized professionals.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the Director of Community Engagement & Jewish Life will:
- Serve as the point of contact for Jewish communal, community-wide, governmental, interfaith and community service programs, events and services, including community wide Jewish holiday and outreach programs, events and initiatives in collaboration with local synagogues and other Jewish organizations.
- Create and implement community social action and justice initiatives, programs involving the local interfaith clergy association, and other local and state government involved events and celebrations. This includes programs/events acknowledging Jewish holidays, Yom Hashoah, Israel themed programs, community-wide celebrations for Hanukkah, Purim, Sukkot and other holidays, and various collaborative, multi-organization events
- Oversight and program and services implementation
- Develop programs from beginning to completion, including the many details large and small that lead to success – research potential programs and appropriate presenters/facilitators/entertainers, obtain references, agree on honorarium. Once offering is scheduled, coordinate all details and paperwork needed for program (for example, room usage and set-up, honorarium, supplies, etc.) market to facilitate member participation, be present and welcoming at program, complete evaluation and budget form
- Collaborate with Adult Enrichment & Engagement Manager on program participant recruitment and registration
- Coordinate with Technology Communication Manager for in-person, virtual and hybrid programs as necessary, and/or in conjunction with onsite staff/volunteers
- Build and maintain relationships with members and program participants, and foster member engagement
- Collaborate with other JCC departments to assess, develop and implement appropriate programs designed to promote Jewish culture and values and to foster engagement with community partners.
- Create, develop and implement community social action, social justice and Tikkun Olam projects
- Work together with colleagues in a team approach
Publicity & Communication
Collaborate with Director of Adult Enrichment and Engagement, Adult Enrichment & Engagement Manager, and Technology Communication Manager to create, publish, post, and/or design and distribute Website content, Quarterly Program Book, Email blasts, Brochures as needed, and Social media posts about program offerings
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, cooperation and collaboration, and commitment to the mission of the organization
- The ideal candidate is warm, approachable, detail-oriented, creative, passionate, organized and loves engaging with individuals of all ages, and with the greater community, with a special affinity and respect for Jewish Life, history, culture and Jewish values. Candidate needs to be able to manage many details, focus on a variety of tasks at one time, and create a broad vision for programming and engagement.
- Minimum of Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited institution required, with concentration in Social Work, Psychology, Law and/or Education a plus.
- Jewish communal engagement or other related experience is highly desirable.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, written and oral communication skills, with strong ability to multi-task
- Ability to create and implement programs and services, and maintain organizational information and systems
- Ability to engage with and relate to adults, children, parents, community leaders and stakeholders, as well as diverse groups of people from all social, economic, ethnic, cultural and faith communities
- Superior attention to detail, with excellent analytical skills
- Open to professional development in areas including staff and team leadership, and mentoring
- Experience working within a team-oriented and collaborative environment
- Knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office Suite: Word, Excel, Gmail/GSuite, electronic communication, database systems (Daxko and Network for Good CRM preferred), Zoom; familiarity with Facebook and other social media.
- Competitive salary and benefits package commensurate with experience. This is a full-time, exempt, salaried position with benefits which include a 403(b) plan with employer match, employee contributory medical, dental and vision insurance, generous PTO, paid Jewish and secular holidays, professional development opportunities, bereavement policy, free family organization membership.
- The employer is an equal opportunity employer. It does not exclude anyone based upon their race, religion, nationality, ethnic origin, age, disability, sexual orientation or identity.