Hazon is the national umbrella organization leading the Jewish environmental movement, and the largest faith-based environmental organization in the U.S, leading the Jewish response to the climate crisis and working in coalition with other faith and cultural groups as well. Now, Hazon is merging with the strongest Jewish retreat center and JOFEE site in North America, the Pearlstone Campus just outside of Baltimore, creating a stronger organization than ever before to lead the Jewish, Outdoor, Food, Farming and Environmental Education (JOFEE) world and the Jewish environmental movement as a whole.
Isabella Freedman Jewish Retreat Center is a year-round 180-person retreat facility that is located in Falls Village, CT. This full-time position will be responsible for the kitchen at Isabella Freedman Jewish Retreat Center and will report to the Managing Director of Hospitality. This position requires a flexible schedule including nights, holidays, and weekends.
Cleaning, Sanitation and Safety
- Adherence to Local, State and Federal Health Department codes and company standards.
- Kitchen is maintained in a clean and sanitary condition.
- Enforce and follow all safety regulations, reporting injuries or any unsafe conditions and work practices to the supervisor.
- Ensure all temperature and sanitation logs are completed daily.
- Maintain ServSafe Certification.
- All HACCP logs kept up to date and all stored food properly labeled and dated.
Food procurement, receiving and storage and inventory management
- Timely and adequate purchasing of all food and supplies.
- Strong commitment to sustainability when purchasing food or sourcing new items.
- Manage proper inventory receiving, storage, and rotation: First In, First Out (FIFO) method.
- Ensure the proper holding and serving temperatures of all food in the kitchen and on the buffet/tables.
- Manage and/or dispose of all food items appropriately that are returned to the kitchen after meal or snack service. (Compost vs. Trash).
- Ensure all monthly food inventories are completed, reviewed, and submitted to the Managing Director of Hospitality.
- Assist in yearly kitchen equipment and Pesach equipment inventories.
- Complete a yearly comprehensive post-Pesach inventory and submit to the Managing Director of Hospitality.
- Production planning and delegation of daily tasks.
- Maximize usage of available Isabella Freedman Farm produce.
- Accurate projections for quantity and quality produced for each meal.
- Timely production of meals.
- Creates unique menus to maximize profit and minimize loss.
- Tests, develops, and teaches recipes in coordination with Sous Chef.
- Plan, supervise, and execute any Food Service needs outside of the main building.
Training and Supervising
- Leads and directs the work of the kitchen team.
- Ensure that the kitchen team has the most accurate and up-to-date information at all times; including catering report, menus, GPS, dietary information, schedule, etc.
- Encourages a professional team rapport and cultivates a positive team spirit in the kitchen.
- Constantly trains and improves the quality of kitchen staff.
- Follow disciplinary procedures and work with HR on any labor relations issues.
- Submit invoices to the Managing Director of Hospitality for timely approval and payment.
- Create invoices or submit charges for internal program related Food Service requests.
- Compile and submit a weekly kitchen schedule to the Managing Director of Hospitality.
- Lead weekly Kitchen meetings.
- Participate in meetings related to Dietary needs with Guest Services.
- Attend All-Staff and Kitchen meetings, in-service training and education sessions as assigned.
- Participate in budget planning or variance meetings as requested.
- Compile and save kitchen menus, on the shared computer drive, a minimum of 2 weeks in advance.
- Compile and save posted buffet menus, including all ingredients and allergens, on the shared computer drive, and ensure that they are posted on the buffet before every meal.
- Ensure that the Farm produce chalk board in the dining room is updated weekly.
- Have the ability to work with clients to create menus; both for special events and regular scheduled group visits.
- Update sample menus, snack upgrade offerings, and meal pricing sheets yearly.
- Visit guests in the Dining Room and review comment cards to monitor satisfaction.
- Conduct “Food Tours” introducing the Isabella Freedman farm produce and meal components once per group, as appropriate, alternating with Sous Chef.
- Answer all questions on cooking preparation and ingredients.
- Must be able to follow written, verbal, or diagrammatic instructions with several concrete variables. Able to add, subtract, multiply and divide whole numbers, and do calculations involving fractions, decimals and percentages. Ability to understand and follow verbal or demonstrated instructions; write identifying information; request supplies verbally or in writing. Must be able to do light work, exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, performing such activities as climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing, pulling, walking, pushing, lifting, fingering, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing and repetitive motions. Have visual requirements of mid-range vision.
- Must have current COVID-19 vaccination or approved exemption.
- Must complete ServSafe COVID-19 specific safe food service and delivery training and update as needed/recommended.
- Proper PPE usage required inside all food service areas.
- Must adhere to all current Pearlstone staff COVID protocols.
- Requires an understanding of federal, state, and local food sanitation regulations. Requires a commitment to, and a passion for, the advancement of our farm-to-table food service.
- Experience supervising a kitchen and dining hall staff; 7-10 years.
- Experience in catering for groups of 50 or more.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs, pushing, pulling, standing for long periods of time.
- Experience in farm to-table cuisine preferred.
- Experience in Jewish cuisine preferred.
- Existing knowledge or willing to learn Kosher food laws.