GatherDC Digital Content Manager
GatherDC’s Digital Content Manager will live, breathe, and champion GatherDC’s brand voice in the digital space. This role will oversee all of GatherDC’s online platforms and written content and serve as GatherDC’s communications & marketing point of contact in the community, all while infusing a dynamic and relational approach into every aspect of their work.
This is a mid-level position. We are looking for a highly creative, hyper-organized individual who is excited to join an innovative grassroots Jewish nonprofit organization. This position comes with a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package.
TITLE: Digital Content Manager
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Rolling; if this is up, we are accepting applications!
IDEAL EXPERIENCE: 2–4 years of experience
LOCATION: Washington, DC
Frequently cited statistics show that historical biases in hiring lead to less applications from women and underrepresented groups unless they have 100% of the qualifications. GatherDC is committed to removing bias in hiring; as such, we encourage you to break that statistic and apply. No one ever meets 100% of the qualifications! We look forward to your application.
WHO WE ARE
GatherDC is the central platform for post-college/pre-family Jewish life across the DC-area and is building one of the most dynamic and inclusive cities for millennial and Gen Z Jewish life. We strengthen the fabric of Jewish life throughout the DMV, facilitating innovative opportunities for meaningful and relevant Jewish learning and stewarding relationships to help Jews in their 20s and 30s connect to Jewish organizations and to each other. We work with the rich network of Jewish communal synagogues, JCCs, and institutions to help them best serve young Jewish adults, and we champion relationship-based engagement, understanding that a thriving Jewish ecosystem is only as strong as the relationships we build with individuals and with the wider community.
WHO YOU ARE
The Digital Content Manager will be a key member of GatherDC’s two-person communications team and will drive GatherDC’s online presence. Your days will be spent creating, coordinating, overseeing, and strategizing all content curation, distribution, and engagement across multiple platforms, with a strong emphasis on social media, blog posts, and email communications. You have a strong background in social media for brands—you might even have a degree or specialization in digital marketing! Being able to digest our brand voice and use it to generate original media, copy, and content for a variety of online platforms and channels is key. As a result of your work, DMV Jews in their 20s and 30s will feel seen by and reflected in GatherDC’s digital space, and GatherDC will have a strong digital presence where people come to engage with Gather’s unique flavor of Jewish content you create and share. Through your work, Jewish DC will feel and be connected to communities, individuals, experiences, institutions, and organizations that help them realize the Jewish lives they want to live.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
Create dynamic and engaging social media content 40%
- Generate original, compelling content for established Facebook and Instagram channels.
- Brainstorm and implement new and creative digital strategies to deepen and expand GatherDC’s online presence.
- Work with the Engagement Director and Community Rabbi to develop timely and relevant content in light of breaking news relevant to our community.
- Stay abreast of current and emerging technologies and trends that may be applicable to enriching GatherDC’s online presence.
Support and manage marketing for GatherDC experiences, events, and fundraising 20%
- Write and edit written copy for GatherDC experiences to ensure brand voice alignment on all external content.
- Create branded packaging for GatherDC’s products including experience sign-ups, curriculum, presentations, board reports, etc.
- Leverage digital tools and communications to support fundraising campaigns that speak to our diverse audience and their varying needs and life stages.
- Serve as a resource to the Gather team on where to locate brand assets and how to produce and edit assets as needed.
Manage Communications Coordinator 15%
- Support and oversee Communications Coordinator in task-based marketing and communications projects, including but not limited to delegation of digital marketing tasks, newsletter generation, Jewish Person of the Week interviewing and transcription, website calendar maintenance, swag orders, and more.
- Steward Communications Coordinator’s professional development, including general mentorship and forwarding/connecting to professional growth opportunities.
Implement communications strategy and monitor impact 10%
- Work with Managing Director to develop communications strategy and translate it into a cross-platform content calendar.
- Work with Communications Coordinator to monitor and track digital analytics from newsletter, social media, and make strategic adjustments where needed to align with overall communications strategies and vision.
- Oversee and implement digital advertising as needed (such as Facebook, Instagram ads, SEO, Google Ads).
Oversee website content generation and management 10%
- Update copy and content on GatherDC’s website, including writing new copy and/or revising outdated copy to reflect organizational and community priorities.
- Manage and optimize web analytics, including ongoing traffic tracking and reporting, to assess and prioritize investment in continued website development.
Serve as GatherDC’s communications liaison 5%
- Develop and nurture relationships to serve as the communications point of contact for other institutions and organizations in Jewish DMV.
- Be connected to Jewish DC online - institutions, organizations, professionals, lay leaders - and have a firm understanding of the Jewish DMV ecosystem.
- 2 to 4 years of professional experience.
- Professional experience with Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, and WordPress.
- Canva, Campaign Monitor, Salesforce (or equivalent CRM), SEO proficiency is a plus.
- Familiarity with Judaism and the various expressions of Jewish culture.
- You’re self-motivated, working equally well independently as well as part of a team.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- You’re a creative thinker. You’re great at thinking outside of the box and are able to not only conceptualize new ideas that don’t yet exist, but understand the steps that need to happen to bring them to life.
- You’re a strong communicator. You are comfortable using a broad range of communication styles and you choose appropriate, effective ways to communicate to different audiences in diverse situations. You are able to adapt the tone and style of your writing to suit the medium and audience at hand.
- You’re a self-starter. You are able to ideate and take action with minimal direction, and are highly motivated by successfully achieving your objectives. You’re comfortable with sitting in discomfort while you work through problems, and you’re able to move past roadblocks or difficulties to find alternative solutions to reach your goals.
- You’re detail-oriented. You are thorough, accurate, and organized, and things rarely fall through the cracks. You’re able to see all pieces of the puzzle, and are not afraid to ask follow-up questions to get to the root of a problem.
- You’re an effective manager. You have experience building trust and motivating those you manage to achieve excellence. You know what needs to happen to get results, and how to strengthen group dynamics to build a cohesive team with multiple portfolios and priorities.
- You’re tech-savvy. You have a natural aptitude for familiarizing yourself with new technologies and are eager to embrace and leverage different tools and systems to more effectively and efficiently accomplish your goals. Unfamiliar tech tools and systems aren’t roadblocks, but exciting opportunities to stretch your brain and build new skills.
PLEASE APPLY IF
- You enjoy change and creativity.
- You’re passionate about building digital communities.
- You are an awesome human being.
BENEFITS & SALARY
- We offer a competitive salary ranging from $60,000–$68,000, commensurate with experience.
- We are fully set up for remote work to accommodate Covid-19 safety and concerns; when we transition to a hybrid schedule, we are excited to have you join us on a hybrid basis at the GatherDC townhouse in Dupont Circle.
- We provide amazing benefits, including robust employer-sponsored healthcare options, generous discretionary and sick leave, retirement matching, an annual professional development stipend, and more.
WHAT TO EXPECT
We know the job application process is never a walk in the park, but we try to make our hiring process as transparent and painless as possible. While we cannot have a conversation with every applicant, we commit to reaching out to every single person who crosses our screen to let them know where they stand in the process within a timely manner (this usually looks like one business week, maximum). We recognize the time and effort it takes to prepare and submit this application, and we appreciate your consideration of this role.
For everyone looking for a peek behind the curtain, here’s what our general process will look like:
Role is live and accepting applications on a rolling basis
December into early January
Candidates with applicable experience will have a 15-minute phone call with GatherDC’s internal screener
Candidates who advance to the interview stage will have a 60-minute Zoom conversation with the Hiring Manager
Candidates who advance to the work sample stage will be requested to submit an experiential assignment (expected to take no longer than 4 hours; time will be compensated.) and 2-3 references.
Finalists who advance to the final stage will have two 45-minute Zoom conversations with GatherDC staff members; Hiring Manager will be checking references.
Offer will be extended!
Feel like a long process? We know. It does to us too. GatherDC is observing the shmita year with a winter break, and we are closing up shop at 5pm on December 23 to give our staff some well-deserved rest through the rest of 2021. We promise we’re working as hard as we can to move through this process as quickly as we can while giving both your applications & our staff’s energies during this holiday season the time and attention they deserve.
So you’ve made it to the bottom. Ready to apply!?
Please submit your resume and cover letter and we will reach out shortly. Contact [email protected] with any questions.
Please note: In accordance with GatherDC’s duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known and preventable hazards, all employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19 and maintain updated booster shots per official CDC guidance. Barring reasonable accommodations for documented medical exemptions, proof of vaccination is a condition for employment.
We deeply value the diversity of insight, perspective, and experience brought by people from backgrounds typically underrepresented in Jewish organizations. This includes Black, Latinx, and Asian people, Black Jews, Jews of Color, Sephardi and Mizrachi Jews, lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, gender non-conforming people, and people with disabilities. We also welcome applications from people of diverse religious, spiritual, and cultural backgrounds.