Bethesda Jewish Congregation (BJC) is a thriving, active, and growing congregation in the heart of Bethesda, MD. We serve Jews from traditional and liberal religious backgrounds, as well as secular Jews, interfaith couples, LGBTQ+ and their families. We vary in degree of observance and cultural practice, bringing new vitality to our tradition while maintaining continuity with our heritage, our people, and our history. BJC chooses to remain independent and unaffiliated with established movements and we take a trans-denominational, egalitarian, and open-minded approach to Jewish worship, thought, and social action. Music and congregant participation infuse our services. BJC has a strong and vibrant relationship with Bradley Hills Presbyterian Church, which hosts our offices, worship space, and school. Our programs enable everyone to engage fully with our traditions no matter their level of Jewish knowledge or practice.
The Religious School Coordinator (Coordinator) leads Bethesda Jewish Congregation’s children and families in their religious education. The Coordinator is responsible for overseeing Saturday Judaics classes (twice a month), weekly midweek Hebrew education (which is virtual), and a monthly Family Education program. The Coordinator is responsible for teacher assignments and communication with parents. The Coordinator also supports the Board and staff in their efforts to inspire others to participate in the range of programs at the synagogue. The Coordinator works in conjunction with the Education Committee and the Rabbi in creating a vision for our education program and creating a vision for positive Jewish identity.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Support the hiring of teachers in coordination with the Education Committee, staff, and Board President(s).
- Supervise teachers and support their training.
- Schedule Hebrew teachers for one-on-one Hebrew lessons over Zoom.
MANAGE SCHOOL OPERATIONS
- Work with the Education Committee and teachers to implement a Judaic Studies curriculum, Hebrew curriculum, and Family Education/Holiday programming, some of which should be directed toward the entire congregation.
- Work with the Synagogue Director to develop written school registration forms, school calendar, and other necessary policies and procedures.
- Send out regular communication to school families
- Engage parents to assist with school programs.
- Respond to inquiries about the education program.
- Support the development of the education budget.
- Collaborate with Bradley Hills Presbyterian Church on joint youth and educational events.
- Knowledge of Hebrew and Judaics.
- Knowledge of and experience in pedagogy as it relates to Jewish Education.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, the ability to work with diverse audiences, and the capacity to handle challenging and sensitive situations.
- Ability to manage faculty, including providing performance feedback.
Essential Skills & Abilities
- Proficiency in email and word processing programs, as well as online programs such as Zoom.
- Self-motivated, with the ability to manage time, meet deadlines, and create efficiencies in school operations.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work with diverse constituencies, including individuals of other faiths.
SCHEDULE AND COMPENSATION
This is a salaried part-time position involving approximately 10-12 hours per week. Salary range is $20,000-23,000 annually. This time includes planning time, meetings, training, and in-service hours. The Coordinator will be available on-site when the school meets in person and will schedule their time in conjunction with the various mandatory meetings (Education Committee, meetings with the Rabbi, etc.). Other hours may be worked off-site/remote. Hours are flexible and may vary week to week.
BJC is an equal opportunity employer dedicated to the selection of the best qualified individuals for the job regardless of race, age, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, marital status, sexual preference, disability or any other status protected by law.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to [email protected]
Qualified applicants will be notified for virtual and in-person interviews.
Expected start date is July 1, 2023.