Beth Sholom Congregation Programming & Engagement Coordinator
About our Congregation
Beth Sholom is a Conservative Jewish congregation of over 200 families that serves the community of Frederick, MD. Our new part-time Programming & Engagement Coordinator will be joining us at a time of dynamic growth, particularly among our younger families.
About the Job
The Programming & Engagement Coordinator is responsible for coordinating all aspects of synagogue programming and activities from conception through execution, while also serving as a primary connection for families looking to develop a relationship with the congregation. The Programming & Engagement Coordinator will report to the Executive Director and will work closely with the Rabbi, Religious School Principal, other staff, and the Board of Directors and Committees to create a warm, caring, and vibrant environment for our members to engage with the synagogue.
The successful candidate should have the following experience, skills and qualities:
- A relationship builder, enjoys meeting new people, and interested in learning about them and their passions
- A highly motivated, creative, and strategic thinker who seeks out new and creative ways to engage people of all ages
- Familiar with Jewish culture, the Jewish calendar, and related youth- and family-oriented programming
- Strong organizational skills, including collaboration with volunteers and lay committees
- Strong written skills; proficient social media skills; experience creating attractive digital flyers
- Cooperative and engaged team player with the ability to work in a team to ensure that all aspects of the organization are successful
Primary responsibilities include:
- Developing and maintaining a programming calendar that provides year-round opportunities for engagement from the congregation, including religious, educational, and social events for all age groups.
- Preparing compelling promotional materials, and promoting programs through multiple communication channels including emails, monthly bulletins, and social media. • Coordinating congregational volunteers to assist in supporting and, in some cases, leading programs.
- Working with the Religious School Principal to assist with programming needs of the Sunday school.
- Working with the Early Childhood Center Chair to investigate and coordinate a potential reopening of the Early Childhood Center.
- Talking to existing and prospective families to develop new and improved ideas for programming and opportunities for engagement
- Bachelor’s degree (preferred)
- Professional work experience (preferred) • Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook), social media platforms, and creation of flyers, posters and other materials
- Knowledgeable about Jewish customs, traditions, rituals, and culture
- Ability to work flexible hours needed to complete job requirements, including some nights, weekends, and holidays
Salary range is $20-40/hour, commensurate with experience. This is a non-benefited, hybrid position with the ability to work from home, but with in-person attendance at programs and meetings on evenings and weekends as needed. Total weekly time commitment will vary depending on activities and is expected to range from 15 to 25 hours per week, with an opportunity to grow as the programming calendar develops further or the Early Childhood Center moves closer to an actual re-opening.
To apply, please send cover letter, resume and references to [email protected] .