Who We Are, Where We Stand
The Danforth Jewish Circle (DJC) is a joyous and inclusive, accessible and inspiring Jewish community located in the heart of Riverdale. Our members include singles and families of all ages who come from diverse Jewish backgrounds and cultural traditions, interfaith and intercultural families, and the full spectrum of sexual orientations and gender identities.
We are an egalitarian, unaffiliated community that is part of a larger progressive Jewish movement. We share in the rich wisdom and inspiration of Jewish tradition and culture while seeking to challenge, explore, and reinterpret it.
Learn more about our values and all the threads we weave into the fabric of our vibrant community by visiting us here.
What You Bring to the DJC
- The ability to adapt to a work schedule that unfolds at different rhythms throughout the year, and the flexibility to coordinate events and services during evenings and weekends.
- Expertise in planning, staging and production of a variety of large- and small-scale events, both in-person and online.
- Ability to smoothly shift gears as you plan for bi-weekly Shabbat services and holyday events after High Holydays.
- Your attention to detail means smaller events and celebrations have few wrinkles or hitches.
- You have the organizational skills to juggle multiple tasks, the experience to expect the unexpected, and an even hand to deal with last-minute resets.
- You are a people person at heart and recognize the essential, long-lasting value in members contributing to the community that offers them a sense of belonging.
- A minimum of 3 years of service management experience, ideally in a Jewish community.
- Comfortable with all forms of digital communication.
- Knowledge of online platforms for interactive and streaming events, as well as familiarity with audio and video systems for live presentation.
- An ease in working independently, and as a team player.
How You Will Make a Difference
As the Events Service Manager/Volunteer Coordinator, you provide logistical support for DJC services and events, supervise the volunteers who help run them, and build upon a database of volunteers in order to sustain our continued growth. While much of this work happens behind the scenes, your impact is far-reaching. You play a vital role in our community’s well-being as you work hand-in-hand with DJC staff and an array of member-run DJC committees. You are usually the first to arrive at an event and often the last to leave. We’re grateful that you wouldn’t want it any other way.
What We Offer
Support from a collaborative team of committed staff and volunteers.
Compensation: $25.00 per hour. This is a permanent, part-time position with flex hours based in Toronto.
During the High Holydays: 70 - 80 hours (over approximately 4-5 weeks)
During the year: 20-40 hours per month.
How To Apply
If you think you’re the right person for this role, please submit your resume and cover letter HERE. The deadline for submissions is June 17, 2022.
We are an equal opportunity organisation that values diversity in people and we are committed to excellence and inclusion. We welcome resumes from underrepresented groups including visible minorities, women, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and members of the lgbtq2s+ community. If you have a disability and require accommodation at any stage of the application process or hiring process, please call us at 416-580-6303 or email us at [email protected]
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those considered for an interview will be contacted. No agencies please.