Director of Advancement
The Director of Advancement position at UMass Hillel is a great opportunity to play a vital role in a mission driven non-profit as a senior member of our awesome staff team. As Director of Advancement, you will join our team at an exciting time in our organizational development as we progress with implementation of our strategic plan and launch the public phase of our 80th Anniversary Campaign.
As Director of Advancement, you will take over a successful fundraising operation with a loyal donor base and help build upon this success in line with our mission and strategic goals. You will create and oversee an annual development plan that addresses all core elements of achieving our annual fundraising goal including direct response, cultivation and stewardship, frontline fundraising, legacy and events. Additionally, you will oversee completion of our 80th Anniversary Campaign.
The Director of Advancement will supervise our excellent Development Associate and part-time Development Marketing Manager. You will be responsible for a portfolio of grant applications and will develop and manage relationships with foundation and university partners. This position will report to the Executive Director, and work closely with the Executive Director and Board of Directors to achieve short-term and long-term goals for sustainable growth.
The ideal candidate will be an experienced development professional who is great with people, excellent with the nuts-and-bolts side of development work, and who cares about our mission. This is a great opportunity to be part of a dynamic and caring staff team doing meaningful work amidst a vibrant student community.
What You’ll Do:
- Plan, organize and manage the fundraising campaigns of UMass Hillel to meet the fundraising goal set in the annual budget
- Implement the public phase of UMass Hillel’s 80th Anniversary Campaign, for which $2.5M has thus far been raised, closing additional major gifts and engaging our grassroots donor base in celebration of Hillel’s 80th year
- Create annual development plan to achieve fundraising goals in alignment with the strategic plan
- Identify, cultivate and steward relationships with new and established contributors
- Directly solicit and close gifts, and facilitate solicitations for the Executive Director, including travel locally and regionally
- Help create a culture of philanthropy throughout the organization by educating and engaging board members, staff and students
- Establish strong relationships with Board members, encouraging their participation in development and other leadership activities, and building a culture of active networking and ambassadorship for Hillel
- Determine what fundraising and/or stakeholder events will take place as part of the annual development plan and oversee implementation of such events
- Supervise the Development Associate
- Direct the work of the part-time Development Marketing Manager
- Oversee three direct mail campaigns annually, email and social media appeals and other online giving opportunities
- Develop or oversee creation of various communications content to share Hillel’s work and impact with stakeholders
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with donors, organizations, and foundations
- Partner with the Executive Director and other staff to apply for and manage grant applications and reporting
- Oversee, maintain and enhance donor and prospect data management and our donor database
- Help coordinate quarterly board meetings; present development reports to the board
- Serve as a strategic thought partner, working with the Executive Director and other senior staff and board members to implement and build upon Hillel’s strategic plan
What You’ve Accomplished:
- Bachelor's degree required, Master’s degree preferred
- Minimum of 5+ years of direct work experience in fundraising, preferably in a Jewish nonprofit organization
- Proven success in campaign management, major gift solicitation and donor stewardship
- Event planning and implementation
- Supervision experience
- Successful grant writing experience
- Experience with budget creation and management
- Strong experience with CRM databases
- Excellent tech fluency, including Microsoft Office, Google Suite, DonorPerfect and/or other CRM software, Constant Contact or similar system
- Facility with use of social media platforms for stakeholder engagement
What You’ll Bring to the Job:
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to naturally form relationships with students, staff, board members, supporters and university partners
- Willingness and ability to travel
- Ability to work effectively and creatively both independently and in a team
- Excellent organizational skillsets; including project and time management
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and attention to detail.
- Authentic sense of connection to Hillel’s mission and capacity to communicate it to supporters in a compelling way
- Occasional evening and weekend availability
What You’ll Receive:
- Salary of $100,00 - $120,000
- Competitive salary in the non-profit marketplace.
- Hillel offers a comprehensive benefits package, including health insurance, Group Supplemental Retirement Annuity (GSRA), pension plan, life insurance, Long Term Disability (LTD), Flexible Spending Plan, generous vacation/sick time, and parental leave
- Great professional development, mentoring and skill-building opportunities
- Flexible work hours
- Opportunity to bring your skills and passion to an exciting, creative work environment.
- Meaningful work as part of a mission-driven organization seeking to have a positive impact on the world.
- Location flexibility: This position is open to candidates living outside of Western Mass in the Northeast with at least monthly travel to Amherst as well as travel for donor meetings.
About UMASS Hillel and Hillel International:
UMass Hillel, located in the beautiful college town of Amherst, Massachusetts in the Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts is a non-profit organization that serves as the vibrant center of Jewish life for the UMass Amherst campus. With 11 Jewish student groups, a dedicated staff team, and a diverse range of programs and learning opportunities that engage over 1,300 students annually, UMass Hillel is a lively and dynamic place to work. Our mission is to empower students through the vitality of Jewish life to cultivate healthy, purposeful lives and relationships that better our community and world. UMass Hillel is proudly affiliated with Hillel International as part of an international network of Hillel’s.
UMass Hillel is affiliated with Hillel International. Hillel International enriches the lives of Jewish students so they may enrich the Jewish people and the world, and envisions a world where every student is inspired to make an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning and Israel.
Check us out at www.umasshillel.org
Facebook | LinkedIn | Instagram
About Hillel International
In 1923, Rabbi Benjamin Frankel started Hillel with humble means, a noble mission and a breathtaking vision: to convey Jewish civilization to a new generation. Today, Hillel International continues to enrich the lives of Jewish students and is the largest Jewish campus organization in the world at more than 550 colleges and universities across North America and around the world. As Hillel evolves as an organization, the mission remains steadfast: to create lasting connections with every Jewish student that foster an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning, and Israel and train them to become the next Jewish leaders.
Hillel is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an accepting and inclusive environment for all.