Gideon Hausner Jewish Day School, Palo Alto, CA
ELL (English Language Learners) Teacher
2022-23 School Year
Gideon Hausner Jewish Day School seeks an enthusiastic, creative, dynamic, and collaborative teacher to join our K-8 school team to teach basic English to students individually or in small groups (no more than 5). The majority of the children are in grades 1-3. You’ll organize courses for non-native speakers with diverse activities and methods that cover all aspects of the English language (speaking, writing, reading, and comprehending). As a teacher in our school, you’ll create individualized lesson plans based on each student’s abilities and needs, and you will evaluate their progress through informal assessments.
ELL teacher skills also include building positive relationships with parents and teachers in working to collaborate with student support. If you love English and education and have a calm and positive personality, we’d like to meet you.
- Use research-based teaching methods for teaching English as a second language
- Prepare course materials and design systematic lessons that cover all aspects of the English language, written and verbal.
- Keep track of student progress and customize individualized lessons for students that adjust to individual proficiency levels
- Manage student behaviors that support learning
- Create a supportive and positive environment that encourages students to reach their learning goals.
- Maintain records of student performance
- Inform parents about student progress
- Collaborate with educational staff to provide a positive learning experience to students
Requirements and skills:
- Fluent in English
- Previous experience as an ESL teacher or similar role
- Knowledge of various methods of teaching English to non-native speakers
- Great organizational and communication skills
- A kind, calm and resilient personality
- Ability to handle various student personalities
- Basic software skills: Google docs, email.
- Fluent in Hebrew
- Degree in English and an ESL or TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) certification.
- Other relevant trainings
- Great communication skills.
- Gideon Hausner Jewish Day School is an independent community school, TK-8, with an engaged and motivated student body that participates fully in both Jewish and secular activities. We offer outstanding academics and a strong sense of community while instilling Jewish values and traditions. We teach to the whole child: social and emotional growth, academic and critical-thinking skills, as well as a wide array of enrichment activities. Our philosophy strongly encourages inclusivity and diversity; ethics and values are infused throughout the TK-8 curriculum.
- Hausner is dedicated to professional development. Teachers are encouraged to collaborate with their peers at Hausner, as well as at other schools. Faculty has leadership opportunities within the school and participates in professional and curriculum development opportunities throughout the year, both nationally and abroad. Faculty members are supported if they are interested in pursuing National Board Certification. Our benefits and friendly community inspire excellent teacher retention.
- Four-acre Palo Alto campus features a first-rate library, Beit Tefillah, a design lab and studio, state of the art music and art rooms, gym, performance space and an expansive outdoor playing field.
- Benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision, 403b Retirement Plan, Long- and Short-term Disability, Voluntary Life/Accident Insurance, Work-Life Balance Employee Assistance Program (EAP). Pre-tax payroll deduction also available for Commuter Checks and Flexible Spending Account.
Gideon Hausner Jewish Day School is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to an inclusive, welcoming community, where all are accepted and are treated with respect.
Hausner does not unlawfully discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of age, race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, religion, veteran status, national, or ethnic origin, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Qualified applicants should submit a letter of interest and resume to [email protected]
Please indicate “ELL Teacher Applicant” in the Subject Line