Elementary School Teacher – Learning Specialist, Reform Jewish Day School, Pinecrest (Miami), Florida
The role of the Learning Specialist is to support students with special learning styles by providing intervention and remediation; learning specialists in their efforts to advance students with special learning needs within the classroom; work with parents, students, and outside professionals in order to better support special needs students. The teacher’s broad area of responsibility is to ensure that each student may learn and flourish academically, socially, emotionally, and spiritually in a nurturing and responsive classroom and school environment. Each student, guided by the learning specialist, is expected to achieve at a high academic and personal level, according to his/her potential. The learning specialist reports to the Elementary School Director, but with final jurisdiction of the Head of School.
Specific responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
* Develops solid knowledge of the Curriculum Maps, Scope and Sequence and all other grade-level curriculum in each content area taught, including the essential information, concepts and skills so as to better support students and assist classroom teachers.
* Prepares and submits to the Elementary School Director weekly lesson plans.
* Differentiates instruction as needed (in content, process, product, and environment).
* In cooperation with classroom teacher(s), creates an educational plan for each student requiring special needs support.
* Implements each student’s educational plan in the special needs setting (small group or one-on-one), or pushing into the classroom, with the support of and in cooperation with the classroom teacher(s).
* Provides teacher guidance and materials to scaffold instruction for students who need modifications.
* Assists teachers in classrooms to help adjust, modify, and enrich curricular approaches and improve pedagogy.
* Arranges for ‘matchmaking’ of specialists (tutors, psycho-educational evaluators, etc.) with students and their families.
* Meets with outside specialists attending to students’ needs.
* Prepares and implements a strategic plan for on-going intervention and remediation in our K-5 program.
* Seeks out new and innovative curricula, texts, and technological applications for implementation in our classrooms and in the special needs room.
* Tests incoming students and potential students.
* When necessary, meets with the appropriate teacher(s) and department heads to insure the easy and comfortable assimilation of all new students.
* Remains current with accepted and appropriate instructional theory, practice and research. Including engaging in regular and strategic professional development to advance the role of the Support Services Teacher (including local and national seminars and conferences).
* Maintains certification and assures it is up to date.
* Provides skillful classroom management practices (routines and procedures) to ensure a safe, orderly, positive, enjoyable, and productive learning environment.
* Uses formative and summative assessment and documents student progress and achievement; assesses and analyzes student strengths and needs; designs and implements appropriate instruction to facilitate learning and growth.
* Maintains relevant and stimulating classroom environment: bulletin boards (with educational aids and current student work), manipulatives, learning centers, etc.
* Prepares and maintains dedicated folder for Substitute Teacher(s). This will include a 3-day supply of stand alone (but relevant) Emergency Plans and all items on Substitute Teacher Checklist Form. This folder will be stored in the main office.
* Establishes and maintains frequent communication with parents about their child’s academic, social and emotional progress and needs. This includes Report Cards, phone calls, Class Newsletters, Veracross, email blasts, etc.
* In consultation with the Head of School and Elementary School Director, creates and implements a protocol for determining who will receive special needs support.
* Maintains accurate records and up to date student files.
* Attends meetings for all students receiving Instructional Support and those students that have the need for Instructional Support
* Assists with standardized testing proctoring.
* Guides teachers in standardize testing data analysis to guide instruction.
* Maintains appropriate discipline throughout the school and playground facilities.
* Performs all assigned duties – lunch, recess, drop-off, carpool, etc. – with diligence regardless of whether or not the students are in one’s class.
* Gives input to student Report Cards as deemed appropriate and necessary.
* Attends and participates in weekly faculty meetings, committee meetings, school functions, and professional development activities during and after school hours as needed, appropriate and assigned.
* Upholds the philosophy, principles, policies, and procedures of Rambam Day School.
* Represents Temple Beth Am Day School positively in the school community and the wider community.
* Adheres to strict student confidentiality.
* Is prompt and avoids unnecessary and excessive absence.
Team-teaches, supports and enriches peers and students as assigned by the Head of School and/or Elementary School Director.
* Performs other tasks as deemed necessary and appropriate by the Elementary School Director and/or Head of School.
Resumes to [email protected]
Rambam Day School at Temple Beth Am is a large, well-equipped campus currently bursting at the seams. We are one of the very few overflowing and still-growing Jewish Day Schools in the United States. Rambam Day School is affiliated with our Reform synagogue of over 1,700 families. Parents and children come from around South Florida to join our community because they are passionate about our nurturing environment, rigorous education, beautiful campus, and the integrity of our tradition and values. In order to accommodate this growth, we recently opened an advanced, state-of-the-art facility. Rambam Day School is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We offer competitive salaries, health/vision/dental insurance, retirement match, and tuition reduction for the elementary and early childhood programs.