Who We Are
For nearly 150 years, JFS of St. Louis has offered compassionate support and practical solutions to help people in greater St. Louis navigate life’s challenges. Our professional staff assist the elderly, protect children at risk, provide food and services to those in need, support families, and enhance community connections. We serve people in need, inclusive of all ages, races, religions, ethnicities, genders and sexual orientations. JFS is a dynamic organization, with committed volunteers and talented staff dedicated to an inspiring mission.
The Chaplaincy Coordinator ensures that older Jewish adults at risk of isolation feel connected spiritually and to the community. The CS coordinates and supervises the day-to-day administrative and operational activities of the chaplaincy program. The Chaplaincy Coordinator delivers pastoral care to Jewish residents of area skilled nursing, assisted living facilities and group homes, and provides care to home-based clients, individuals receiving hospice care and hospital patients as needed.
- Makes individual pastoral visits to residents of skilled nursing and assisted living facilities, hospice patients, home-based clients, group home residents and hospital patients. Structures group programs where possible and appropriate for the residents served.
- Assesses and serves the spiritual needs of clients and family members, including provision of spiritual support on issues of loss, grief, depression, illness, isolation, end of life issues and other issues as appropriate.
- Oversees scope of program and determines deployment of volunteer and professional staff to maximize program efficiency.
- Supervises other chaplaincy staff.
- Keeps current with best practices and developments in the field, and communicates these to chaplaincy and volunteer staff as needed.
- Provides program orientation, training and supervision and evaluation of volunteers.
- Facilitates synagogue volunteer groups.
- Writes, edits, and coordinates the development of promotional materials and brochures (including program information for the JFS website) in coordination with the communications manager.
- Assists program director with grant and/or proposal writing, as appropriate to the program. Participates in relevant fundraising activities and special events.
- Identifies opportunities for program growth and revenue streams.
- Plans and implements consistent outreach to skilled nursing and assisted living facilities to identify Jewish residents in need of chaplaincy services.
- Builds community relationships and partnerships as appropriate to the program.
- Performs administrative tasks in support of the program, including correspondence, reports and program materials.
- Completes client documentation.
- Provides an analysis of chaplaincy program to the PQI Committee in summary form, including program activities and results.
- Performs funerals for the unaffiliated as needed.
- Demonstrates teamwork in delivery of care management services.
- Complies with all company policies and standards.
- Performs other duties as required or assigned
To be successful in this position, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with varying abilities to perform the essential functions.
Master’s Degree in social work, counseling, psychology, human services, or education preferred, certification in chaplaincy preferred.
An ordained Rabbi with experience in counseling, geriatrics, and pastoral care.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Must identify as Jewish and be affiliated with the Jewish Community.
- Able to communicate on an individual level and in group situations.
- Ability to use standard office equipment, computers and related software applications.
What you can expect
Competitive Pay based commensurate with experience (pay range)
- Vacation and Sick Pay
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Group Life Insurance
- Employee Discount Program
- Employee Assistance Program
For information on JFS, please visit our website at jfsstl.org.
JFS is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.