The Jewish Community Center of Harrison (JCCH) in Harrison, New York, is seeking a dynamic, creative, and experienced Director for its Early Childhood Center (ECC).
The JCCH is a community synagogue for progressive Conservative Judaism, welcoming to all. The ECC has a long history of excellence, incorporating the best practices of early childhood education in a child-centered environment, serving as a gateway to the JCCH, and providing programs for young families. The ECC has beautiful, dedicated classrooms, a playground, and a gym for indoor play.
After a brief hiatus, the ECC is reopening its doors and we are seeking an experienced, energetic, innovative, and collaborative leader with a passion for working with young children and a commitment to early learning in a synagogue environment. This is an opportunity for a leader with vision to create a program that speaks to the needs of today’s young Westchester families. The director will work closely with professional and lay leadership both initially and on an ongoing basis to ensure the vitality of our program.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Oversee all daily ECC operations, including a summer program.
- Develop and oversee curriculum that reflects best practices in early childhood education as well as core Jewish values consistent with the overall mission of the ECC and JCCH.
- Create age appropriate curricula and standards that support educational excellence.
- Create a recruiting strategy for young families, including community outreach. Engage in marketing/social media promoting ECC to prospective families.
- Recruit, supervise, coach, mentor, and provide professional development for teachers.
- Schedule and facilitate regular ECC staff meetings. In addition, attend regular meetings with professional staff and clergy.
- Establish warm and caring relationships with children and their families, respectful of individual differences within the community.
- Plan and facilitate family engagement programs and activities for ages birth to 5 years (including children/families not currently in the ECC but part of the wider community).
- Communicate regularly with families, teachers, JCCH staff, and lay leadership.
- Plan Shabbat and holiday classroom programs.
- Prepare a budget and be responsible for financial accountability.
- Maintain New York State Office of Children and Family Services license; follow and implement all regulations.
- Work with synagogue leadership to set policies regarding student and staff illness, vaccinations and COVID-19 protocols.
- Master’s (preferred) or bachelor’s degree in early childhood education or a related field.
- Strong classroom experience in early childhood education and development.
- Proven leadership skills and supervisory experience, preferably in a licensed early childhood center.
- Experience hiring, training, and mentoring staff.
- Skills and experience in budgeting and financial management.
- Familiarity with NY State licensing requirements.
- Ability to collaborate with professional and lay leaders and commitment to working as a team player.
- Outstanding interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills.
- Genuine caring temperament, a love of children, and an appreciation of Judaism.
- Exceptional organizational and planning skills.
- Excellent and consistent judgment and decision-making skills.
Please send resume and cover letter to [email protected]. To learn more about the Jewish Community Center of Harrison and the Early Childhood Center, visit www.jcch.org.
Duration: Full Time, starting immediately