Congregation Beth Israel
Congregation Beth Israel, a vibrant Conservative synagogue in Central Massachusetts with approximately 200 member units, seeks a passionate Executive Director to serve as its senior staff leader working in partnership with clergy and lay-leadership to meet the religious, educational, and communal needs of its growing congregation as the congregation approaches its second century. The Executive Director serves a key role in advancing the mission of the synagogue to “Welcome. Engage. Inspire. Grow.”
Reporting directly to the president of the Congregation, the Executive Director (ED) works collaboratively with the clergy, officers, board of directors, and committee chairs. The ED has primary responsibility for synagogue operations and administrative affairs, including staff, finances, facilities, and membership relations. The ED manages and oversees the day-to-day operations of the synagogue, including all programs, events, services, Shabbat kiddush, and holiday programs; working with clergy, staff and lay leaders to plan and coordinate logistical aspects of major holidays and events.
The ED shares the responsibility of oversight for internal (BI) and external (greater community) communications and helps the synagogue maintain a positive image among staff, congregants, and the community.
- The Executive Director must possess excellent interpersonal and organizational skills to facilitate working with a congregation spanning all ages and varying styles of Jewish practice; a solid foundation in fiscal and facilities management; managing/mentoring personnel and team building; be a self-starter, detail oriented and creative problem solver.
- Minimum of three years of management experience in a membership-focused environment.
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive matters with maturity, discretion, and professionalism.
- The successful candidate requires some scheduling flexibility to attend Board, committee meetings, and certain services and key events, some of which are during evening and weekend hours.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and Accounting practices.
- Knowledge or ability to learn Shul Cloud, our synagogue management system.
- Experience with event management is a plus.
- Familiarity with Jewish synagogue practice, Jewish culture, tradition, and life cycle events is a plus.
Salary ranges from $75,000 to $95,000 per year, depending upon experience. The synagogue offers vacation as part of its compensation package. Medical and dental benefits are negotiable.
If you don’t have all the qualifications listed but are extremely organized, passionate about our mission, and believe you have applicable and transferable skills from other industries, we encourage you to apply for this position.
Send cover letters and resumes to Manager of HR and Finance, Beth Cyr, at [email protected].