Who We Are: For nearly 150 years, JFS of St. Louis has offered compassionate support and practical solutions to help people in greater St. Louis navigate life’s challenges. Our professional staff assist the elderly, protect children at risk, provide food and services to those in need, support families, and enhance community connections. We serve people in need, inclusive of all ages, races, religions, ethnicities, genders and sexual orientations. JFS is a dynamic organization, with committed volunteers and talented staff dedicated to an inspiring mission.
The Older Adult Case Manager - Financial Assistance provides comprehensive case management to ensure that clients have the tools and financial resources needed as they navigate life’s challenges. The Older Adult Case Manager - Financial Assistance assesses clients to determine financial need and develops an individualized care plan, and then works with clients to find ways to increase their income and decrease their expenses through connections to government benefits, employment, subsidized housing, and thoughtful budget modifications. The Case Manager collaborates with clients to develop and manage individualized care plans that facilitate and support connection to educational opportunities, support groups, life skills and advocacy training, housing, benefit eligibility assessment and application information, caregiver resources, employment, financial resources, physical and mental health, and legal assistance.
- Provides high-quality, individualized financial coaching to clients.
- Actively outreaches and engages clients and provides ongoing support to promote financial health.
- Completes comprehensive client assessments, which identify medical, psychological and social factors contributing to client’s situation and evaluates these together with client’s strengths.
- Completes enrollment into the care management program.
- Documents services and gathers session data for program reporting and evaluation.
- Achieves client impact goals and service outputs.
- Participates in regular team meetings and continued skill-building training sessions.
- Develops an individualized care plan with each client. Reviews the care plan regularly with client to assess progress towards identified goals.
- Refers clients to JFS programs, community resources and other organizations as needed. Follows up with clients and service providers to ensure successful and warm hand-offs.
- Records client interactions, care plan updates and community resource information in ETO database for every interaction.
- Communicates to supervisor any issues that may impact service delivery or continuity of client services.
- Provides outreach and training to community agencies, congregations and organizations. This includes public speaking, managing information booths at community events and distributing informational materials.
- Represents JFS at community and professional association meetings.
- Demonstrates teamwork, compassion and high-quality delivery of care management services.
- Performs other duties as required or assigned.
- Complies with all JFS policies and standards.
Qualifications: The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals of varying abilities to perform the essential functions.
Education: Advanced degree or certification in financial planning, financial education, social work, counseling, psychology, or related field required.
Work Experience: Minimum of five years of related experience.
Licenses, Certifications and Professional Affiliations: N/A
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of community support services and resources.
- Ability to conduct effective interviews and psychosocial assessments.
- Ability to prepare and maintain accurate case records.
- Knowledge of the use of office equipment, computers and related software applications.
- Ability to counsel clients and/or families in financial skills, life management skills, and coping skills.
- Client Focus: Exhibits the values of kindness, fairness, excellence and service to others. Dedicated to meeting client needs. Builds positive and professional client relationships. Understands the need for flexibility and changes to procedures and programs to meet client’s needs.
- Communication Skills: Adapts behavior and communications to multiple learning styles. Aware of the impact of personal style on others’ perceptions and works to make the impact positive and productive. Clearly communicates changes in priorities and resources.
- Interpersonal Agility: Displays diplomatic and tactful behavior. Is collaborative and promotes professional working relationships with coworkers. Builds positive relationships with all JFS stakeholders.
- Organization: Manages time well. Ability to manage multiple projects concurrently. Effective in priority setting.
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
Work Environment: Work is typically performed in either an inside work environment or occasionally in the client’s home. There exists the potential for stressful and/or emotionally charged encounters with clients.
Physical Demands: This position requires prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer. Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds.
Travel: Approximately 20% of work time may be spent outside of the office meeting with clients or other organizations. Access to private transportation is required.
Benefits: JFS offers the following benefits to all full-time employees:
- Traditional PPO or High Deductible Health Plan (HDHP) Medical Plans.
- $50 per month for employee only coverage.
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA) or Healthcare Savings Account (HSA)
- JFS contributes $100 per month to your HSA after establishing an account.
- Employer paid short-term disability.
- Eligible first of the month after employment.
- Employer paid life/Accidental Death & Dismemberment insurance.
- 2X your salary.
- Eligible first of the month after one year of employment.
- Employer paid long-term disability.
- 60% of your monthly salary.
- Eligible first of the month after one year of employment.
- Voluntary Life/Accidental Death & Dismemberment.
- Voluntary Accident
- Voluntary Critical Illness
- Voluntary Hospital Indemnity
- Employee Assistance Plan
- Voluntary Pet Insurance
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of an employee in this position. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
JFS provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type in regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.