The Human Resources (HR) Assistant works 20-25 hours/week assisting with the administration of the day-to-day operations and communications of Human Resources work within Gateways. The HR Assistant takes the lead in implementing established processes for payroll, employment, and benefits management, while also having the opportunity to bring creativity and new ideas into special projects around policy updates, employee culture, training and development, and system improvement. Biweekly payroll preparation is a key responsibility of this position. The HR Assistant also serves as the primary back-up to the Office Manager for breaks and time off coverage. The HR Assistant reports to the Chief Strategy and Operating Officer, and is a key member of our operations team, who work to support our overall staff of 15 year-round employees and 20-25 school year employees.
Essential Functions (note – our office operates remotely with in-person office space available as needed):
- Collect and manage the data needed to prepare accurate paychecks for salaried and hourly employees, including timesheet submissions. Work with department heads to resolve any timesheet errors, and submit prepared payroll data into the payroll system.
- Set up new employees in payroll and employee management systems, and handle any ongoing adjustments or updates as needed throughout the year (e.g. for leaves of absence, mid-year hires and departures, job changes).
- Coordinate on-boarding process for new employees, including creating new hire packets and coordinating new hire set-up with IT and Facilities.
- Serve as resource for staff regarding questions about payroll, benefits and general HR information.
- Manage annual open enrollment for benefits and enrollments and changes in benefits during the year, including calculation of payroll deduction amounts.
- Work with the Chief Strategy and Operating Officer, our volunteer HR Taskforce, and others, in advancing the HR work of the organization through taking the lead on special projects, such as policy reviews, employee handbook updates, planning of staff culture-building activities, and other endeavors to continue to grow and support our people-first culture.
- Provide primary back-up coverage for Office Manager on incoming calls, including covering daily breaks and lunches, vacations and unplanned absences.
- Create, update, and maintain all paper and electronic personnel and department records, including filing.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Associate’s degree or equivalent experience
- Minimum 1-2 years’ administrative work experience, preferably in Human Resources or Payroll.
- Familiarity with standard Human Resources policies and procedures.
- Familiarity with payroll systems and processing.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office including strong Excel skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Ability to work on projects, manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines.
- Aptitude for detail and commitment to accuracy and follow through.
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable to changes and shifting priorities.
- Skill in being poised, welcoming, and personable in interacting with all members of Gateways, as well as visitors and phone contacts.
- Professionalism and sensitivity in interacting with a diverse population.
- An understanding of and a willingness to contribute to our mission and vision.
- Sense of humor
- This is a year-round, 20-25 hours/week position, with an hourly rate of $20-25 depending on experience.
- Gateways is based in Newton, MA, with year-round staff working mainly remotely and office space available as needed for in-person work.
- Benefits for year-round part-time positions include generous paid time off, flexible spending account, and SIMPLE IRA retirement plan with 3% employer match.
How to Apply:
- Cover letters and resumes will be accepted only through our online system at http://tinyurl.com/gatewaysjobs. Candidates will be considered on a rolling basis until position is filled.
- Gateways believes in the essentiality of a diverse workforce. We are committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals, including people of color, women, people with disabilities, immigrants, LGBTQIA people, and people who come from low income or working-class backgrounds. We encourage you to apply without regard to race, color, religion, age, disability, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, ancestry, genetic information, medical condition, veteran status, or any other class protected under federal, state, or local laws. We know that the candidate who fits best may not meet 100% of the qualifications.
Gateways will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations. The interview process for this position will be conducted via Zoom. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, please contact us at [email protected] for assistance.
About the Organization:
Gateways provides high quality special education services, expertise, and support to enable students with diverse learning needs to succeed in Jewish educational settings and participate meaningfully in Jewish life. For more information visit our web site at www.jgateways.org.