MakomNY is a different kind of Jewish community. Established in 2015, we have grown into a thriving community of approximately 450 units, including a Hebrew School with 230 students, a full offering of classes, Shabbat dinners, services and holiday experiences.
We are a growing community - and we are all about community. We were founded to reach and serve that large percentage of unaffiliated Jews in our Long Island region – the ‘wondering and wandering’ who may be seeking a different kind of Jewish community or experience. Everything about us represents a new and different model than that of a traditional synagogue – from our financial structure to our Hebrew School to our program space and more.
We are seeking an exceptional individual to join our collaborative and supportive professional team, someone with a deep understanding of and enthusiasm for the mission and vision of Makom. Your skill set and experience need to be both wide-ranging and varied, to encompass and add to those of our Rabbi and Educator, both of whom have assumed atypical roles within their respective professions. Your character is key to us - we are looking for someone with great positive energy, someone who is brave, creative, thoughtful and compassionate.
We are truly looking for a team member who will partner with our Rabbi in leading Shabbat musical celebrations, B’nai Mitzvah services and holiday experiences. We are looking for someone who will enhance music in our community, someone who would work with some of our many constituent populations - younger students, B’nai Mitzvah students, teens, families and adults. We are seeking an individual who can enrich our community in some of the following ways, though we are open to new and different ways to grow the community introduced by this new team member. Some examples might be:
- Offering a weekly Choir Lishma - Singing for the Sake of Singing - for teens and adults interested in learning more Jewish music and singing for fun.
- Working individually with B’nai Mitzvah students, perhaps teaching trop to those who are capable and interested in learning at a higher level.
- Teaching classes for adults in any content area that interests the new team player and would reach our greater community.
- Re-igniting our Tot Shabbat program for our younger families.
- Representing Makom in the greater community through mitzvah opportunities, teaching, cultural programs and more.
- Sharing pastoral responsibilities with the Rabbi and Educator in order to meet the various needs of the individuals in our community.
Your training and background may be as a rabbi, a cantor or an educator. You may come from a more traditional or a more liberal Jewish upbringing; our community has participants from all backgrounds and we aim to mirror this for Makom. We value education for our team, and we pride ourselves in leaders with appropriate and deep training and Jewish learning. Our newest team member will join us in continuing to build relationships across the community, engaging people already part of Makom, as well as reaching new community members.
Necessary skills include:
- Ability to lead services and encourage communal participation
- Depth of knowledge of traditional and contemporary Jewish music
- Knowledge of T’fillah, Torah, Haftarah – chanting and trop
- Working knowledge of modern Hebrew with Sephardic pronunciation
- Ability to be flexible, and to work collaboratively in a sometimes fast-paced and changing environment
This position is currently part-time (one-half to three-quarters time), with the possibility for expansion. The start date is Summer, 2022.
The salary range for this position is $50 - $70K, dependent upon qualifications, experience and mutually agreed-upon schedule.
We offer typical benefits for a part-time Jewish professional position.
To apply for this position, please email your resume and/or CV. You may also send along a sample of recordings and/or videos that showcase your skills; this is not required, but encouraged. You must include a substantive cover letter sharing your thoughts about what draws you to this position and why you would make the ideal candidate for us.
Please email your submission to: [email protected]. The subject line should contain your name and “Application for Senior Team Member”.
The MakomNY Team