Montgomery County, Maryland
Kehila Chadasha seeks an Education Director to lead our Sunday School.
Kehila Chadasha is a progressive, independent, and inclusive Jewish community that meets in Montgomery County, Maryland. Founded in 1979, Kehila Chadasha values Jewish heritage and traditions through education, music, celebration, discussion, and social action. We are a small, welcoming congregation of approximately 100 families, in which members of all ages, backgrounds, and Jewish identities feel at home together. Our members reflect a wide range of beliefs and practices.
Kehila Chadasha operates a Sunday School with approximately 30 students from kindergarten through eighth grade. The school meets on Sunday mornings from September through May in Garrett Park, Maryland, providing education on Judaics, Hebrew, holidays, rituals, and culture. Music is at the core of the Kehila Chadasha community and has been since our founding in 1979; each Sunday morning begins with a musical program that is open to students, school families, and all generations in the community.
The Education Director leads the congregation’s Sunday School, in collaboration with an Education Committee comprised of congregation members. The Education Director is a part-time position, entailing approximately 20 hours per week (including approximately 4 hours on Sunday mornings) during the school year, and significantly fewer hours per week during the summer. The Education Director’s primary responsibilities are:
- Supervising and training a staff of 4-5 teachers and 2-3 teaching assistants
- Devising and implementing school curricula, in consultation with Kehila Chadasha’s Rabbi or Spiritual Leader
- Collaborating with Kehila Chadasha’s Songleader on the incorporation of musical programming into all aspects of the school
- Planning, managing, and being present for the overall operations of school sessions on Sunday mornings
- Serving as the primary point of contact for school parents and guardians
- Recruiting new school families
- Collaborating with Kehila Chadasha’s Education Committee to: to hire new teachers to develop an annual budget to seek out available grants and other funding opportunities
- Coordinating with the organizers of the congregation’s intergenerational programs and holiday celebrations
The salary range for this position is between $25,000 and $35,000 per year, commensurate with experience. We welcome applications from qualified educators of any Jewish background, identity, or denomination. Experience in Jewish education of elementary or middle school students—including experience with curriculum development for Judaics and/or Hebrew classes—is required.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to [email protected].