Director of Education
Beth Sholom is the Conservative synagogue in Memphis, TN. We are a vibrant and growing egalitarian congregation of 260 families. Our upbeat and welcoming energy draws a diverse and committed community from across the mid-South.
Beth Sholom seeks a full-time Director of Education to join our team in Summer 2022. The ideal candidate will be an MA-level Jewish educator or a BA-level educator with equivalent experience who is self-motivated, engaging, innovative, organized, and has strong communication skills. We seek a leader who is willing to take a “hands-on” approach to ensure that programs are successful. The ability to connect with individuals and families is key, as is the ability to promote events and programs, within the synagogue as well as within the larger community.
Works in conjunction with the VP of Education, Rabbi, and Executive Director, to direct four main program areas:
Formal Education/Religious School
- Oversee religious school and Teen Talmud Torah (our Middle and HS learning program)
- Implement curriculum
- Hire, train, and supervise teachers
- Teach as needed
- Manage budget
- Oversee and advise youth group advisors
- In conjunction with lay leaders, oversee family educational programming, especially as it relates to holidays and Shabbatot
- Coordinate and oversee Junior congregation, Tot Shabbat, and other Shabbat programming as relevant
- Oversee process from the initial meeting with parents in 4th grade, setting dates, and managing tutors through the actual Bar/Bat Mitzvah
- Be the main point of contact for parents
Please submit a cover letter and resume.
- Salary Range: $50,000-70,000
- Preferred Experience: 3-5 years
- Benefits: Paid vacation, sick leave, parental leave, reimbursement for medical, retirement plan, professional development funds, relocation assistance
- Perks: flexible schedule and ability to leave early for Shabbat, low cost of living
Beth Sholom is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified persons of every race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, gender, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, and disability.