Financial Administrator - Job Announcement
Oheb Shalom Congregation
Oheb Shalom Congregation is an egalitarian, inclusive, diverse, and multi-generational 325+ member congregation in South Orange, NJ. While Oheb Shalom has a rich, vibrant history, being one of the oldest conservative synagogues in the Northeast, it is known for being progressive and embracing Jewish tradition in the 21st century. This summer, we were thrilled to welcome new clergy – Rabbi Abigail Treu, Senior Rabbi and Cantor Eliana Kissner, recent JTS graduate. We believe we are poised for tremendous growth.
We are looking for a full time, full charge Financial Administrator who will be able to work with lay leadership, staff, and synagogue members. While this job requires strong bookkeeping, accounting, and technology/computer skills, it is very much a service centered position needing strong interpersonal abilities.
This person will report directly to the Executive Director (ED) and laisses with the Board Treasurer and the Board Budget Committee. They shall manage the daily workflow of all aspects of the accounting department including payables, receivables, payroll, billing, bank reconciliations, monthly reporting, year-end close, special projects, and year end reports.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Daily electronic deposits via a digital platform
- Posting deposits to a CRM (Shulcloud) and sync to QuickBooks.
- Reconcile all bank accounts monthly
- Run reports for end of month financial statements: balance sheets, income statements, budget variance, aging account reports, billing activity and adjustments.
- Manage and reconcile merchant services account.
- Transfer payroll from operating to payroll accounts.
Invoicing and Accounts Receivable:
- Invoice members for annual dues process all ancillary revenue sources (tributes, memorial plaques, facility rentals, donations, special events).
- Apply payments to individual accounts including all checks, credit card and online payments.
- Maintain and update congregant membership database, billing, and membership categories
- Run monthly membership billing statements and mail/email to congregants.
- Prepare monthly reports for the ED, Treasurer, Budget Committee Chair, Executive Committee and Board of Trustees.
- Prepare monthly aging reports. Keep ED and Treasurer advised of slow accounts.
- Member Relations: Handle all inquiries regarding billing and statements from members, pre-school families and donors. This includes handling questions, complaints, and suggestions.
- Prepare and process all accounts payable to vendors, contractors, and staff in a timely and customary schedule through Bill.Com or through regular check processing.
- Ensure that all payments are properly authorized and assigned to proper GL accounts.
- Post all transactions to QuickBooks.
- All payables filed with proper documentation attached.
- Collect all W-9 forms and annually process and file all 1099 forms for all contractors.
- Process bi-weekly payroll with ADP and sync with Quickbooks
- Prepare and maintain all necessary salary adjustments and/or tax adjustments
- Collect W-4 and I9 forms from all new employees and update staff files as indicated
- Maintain and update all personnel files for sick, vacation and/or family leave.
- Process applications for religious school, pre-school, and camp registrations
- Bill all new and on-going registrations and fees
- Keep accurate records of charges and payments.
- Manage and process the recording of revenue for all fundraising events/capital campaigns/ Purim Project/Legacy gifts/annual appeal
- Issue annual tax receipts for members
- Work with Finance Committee and UBS/MetroWest Foundation to accurately account for all deposits and disbursements to our fund accounts, including reconciliations.
- Manage office contracts with copier and postage meter
- Maintain vendor contracts, updated certificate of insurance forms
- Work with the budget committee and provide support to prepare the annual budget. Post approved annual budget to QuickBooks.
- College degree required
- Candidate must be proficient in Quickbooks, Excel, and other data management tools
- Experience with ShulCloud is a plus
- Ability to learn proprietary software programs
- Excellent interpersonal skills, good sense of humor, team player and ability to work with multiple levels of staff and lay leadership.
- Experience working in a not for profit helpful.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize in a fast-paced environment.