Title: Executive Director
Job Type: Full-time with medical benefits
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Salary: $115K-$125K annually
Who We Are
Congregation B’nai Tikvah is a Reform congregation of 300+ families, defined by our commitment to
being an inclusive, engaging spiritual home to all who come through our doors. We are dedicated to
Torah, learning, music-infused prayer, personal connections, and social justice.
We are seeking a creative, innovative, passionate and energetic Executive Director to position our congregation for continued success and growth. This is a critical role which oversees all administrative affairs of the synagogue including staff, finances, facilities, human resources and membership relations. This role will require adept strategic thinking, as the ED will continually evaluate the needs of the congregation, recommending priorities, new programs, and necessary changes to strengthen the synagogue.
The Executive Director reports to the president of the congregation and the board of trustees and works closely with lay leadership and the Rabbi to envision and implement the strategic direction of the congregation. The Executive Director and Rabbi work together as partners to enact a long-lasting, transformative vision for this vibrant center of Jewish life.
Areas of Responsibility
Membership engagement and programming
- Membership recruitment: engage with prospective members in a timely manner, ensuring proper integration into the community.
- Collaborate with Rabbi and lay leaders on the design, implementation, and logistics of
- Develop and manage the synagogue’s operational budget along with the treasurer and finance committee
- Oversee timely issuance of regular financial reports to the board and ensure compliance with all federal, state and local laws and regulations
- Work directly and confidentially with temple or prospective members who request reduced membership commitments or alternative payment
- Coordinate and oversee expanded fundraising efforts and individual donor cultivation
Communications & Marketing
- Ensure successful promotion of all programming at CBT
- Coordinate and support office staff to produce communications and marketing materials and maintain a master calendar for the synagogue
- Coordinate the assessment, development and implementation of security and emergency protocols for the building, staff and general community
- Work closely with the President of the Board to prepare for monthly Board meetings in a timely and accurate manner
- Participate in meetings of appropriate committees
- Ensures compliance with current federal and state labor laws as it relates to temple operations
- Responsible for hiring, training and supervising all front office, custodial, and contract staff
- Promote a collaborative, respectful, kind work environment
- Work with clergy and office staff to schedule and execute life cycle events, such as B’nai Mitzvahs, weddings, births, funerals, and bereavement notices
- Experience as a senior manager/administrator or Executive Director with responsibilities for overseeing a complex, multifaceted organization and successfully managing a team.
- Non-profit or Jewish organizational experience a plus
- Hands on experience with membership retention, relations, and dynamic programing for all ages.
- Financial management experience, including financial planning and budgeting, and accounting systems and reporting (QuickBooks a plus).
- Experience planning and implementing fundraising activities, including annual, capital, and endowment campaigns and grant proposals.
- Experience in facility administration, outside contracting for services, and negotiations with vendors and contractors.
- Human resource experience, with demonstrated success in managing, motivating, and developing staff.
- Knowledge of computer and web-based systems and social media to support administration, events, membership, and marketing.
- Strong knowledge of Jewish rituals, customs, and holiday celebrations.
Note: Some events and meetings may require the Executive Director to be on site during evening or
weekend hours. The Executive Director may adjust the daily or weekly schedule to
balance these responsibilities.
We offer free membership, health coverage that starts on your first day of hire and a strong, supportive, positive team of staff, volunteers and congregants who are excited to welcome you into our community!