The City of Houston has experienced significant growth over the past decade and currently is the fourth largest city in the United States. The Orthodox Jewish community has concurrently expanded due to the low cost of living, employment opportunities and excellent education opportunities. Our elementary school has reached over 415 students in a short period of time and is quickly outgrowing our new 43,000 square foot state-of the art building.
Yeshiva Torat Emet is seeking a General Studies Principal of Upper School for the 2022-2023 school year. As a senior member of the school’s administrative team, the General Studies Principal (GSP) will be a partner with our current General Studies Principal of Lower School and other members of the administrative team to provide an outstanding educational experience to our students. The GPS will be a strong presence around the school, voicing school policies and communicating ethical standards for the school community. The GPS will lead by building strong connections with individual students, parents, and faculty, and working collaboratively with these groups to further YTE’s mission of academic excellence.
The ideal candidate will possess (i) Outstanding interpersonal and supervisory skills for interacting with students, staff, parents, and peers, (ii) Excellent administrative/technological skills, (iii) An advanced degree in education from an accredited university, (iv) Experience in school administration, (v) Thorough knowledge of curricula. Familiarity with yeshiva day school education is advantageous but not required.
Some specific areas of responsibility include (together with current GSP):
- Review, assess, and update curriculum
- Provide oversight to ensure that teachers are following the curriculum
- Assist in the planning of professional development for staff
- Oversee and assist with the finding and placement of substitutes
- Recruit, interview, and hire faculty
- Support and guide teachers
- Procure books and materials
- Plan special projects and school wide programs
- Bring new programs and educational tools to enhance our program
- Review and direct report cards and progress reports
- Communicate with and respond to parents regarding the General Studies program
- Assist with the assessment of new students requiring placement in our program
- End of day school dismissal
- Oversee student and faculty dress code
- Student life and discipline
- Assist with government and title funding opportunities
- Additional school leadership tasks