Marketing and Communications Manager
Mission: We guide, train, and support Jewish community leaders and educators to provide purposeful, enriching, and inclusive opportunities for people with disabilities and their families.
Vision: Matan envisions a world in which all Jewish communities are stronger and more vibrant because people with and without disabilities share meaningful experiences throughout their lives.
Matan was created in the year 2000 to address the lack of Jewish educational opportunities afforded to children with special needs. Originally created as a “direct service” organization for school-aged children in the New York metro area, Matan’s efforts now support professional educators, lay leaders, clergy, administrators and others across North America in addressing the needs of individuals across the lifespan with a wide variety of learning, developmental and mental health challenges. Matan focuses on helping communities understand their inclusion needs, enabling them to establish and meet goals, and training Jewish communal leaders and educators in inclusive practices.
About the Position
As Matan’s first Marketing and Communications Manager, you will manage and ensure the success of Matan’s communications, marketing, and public relations strategy. You will generate compelling content for, and manage the day-to-day operations of, all communications platforms including but not limited to the Matan website, e-newsletters, marketing materials, social media, and press releases. Additionally, you will support Matan’s earned media and growth strategy. You will be a member of a highly collaborative staff team of five, and will report to the Executive Director.
Matan serves a diverse workforce and needs a diverse staff team to best meet the workforce’s needs. Every new member of the staff is an opportunity for us to introduce fresh perspectives, experiences, and skills into our team. People who identify as Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC); people with disabilities; LGBTQ+ people; Matan is trans-friendly and embraces people of all genders; individuals from diverse backgrounds, faiths, Jewish observance and background, and life experiences are encouraged to apply for this position. Matan strongly encourages individuals from groups that are underrepresented in the Jewish professional world to apply.
Communicate compellingly about all things Matan
- Plan, copyright, and distribute original promotional content such as articles, news and press releases, email, blog and social media posts, and other updates on behalf of the organization
- Articulate Matan’s story and impact to key stakeholders
- Manage all aspects of Matan’s website, with Matan’s Operations Manager
- Promote Matan’s suite of programs through a variety of web-based channels including the Matan website, to be created e-newsletter, and social media
- Present about Matan by phone, video (Zoom), and in person
- Develop creative, effective strategies to communicate the value of engaging with and supporting Matan’s efforts
Ensure marketing and communications strategy and plans are in place and exceptionally implemented
- Develop and manage a communications plan and calendar
- Manage photography, video production, and press coverage
- Report on milestones and activities such as organizational goals and projects to key constituents
- Coordinate, as necessary, with external vendors on communication-related projects
- Work collaboratively with members of Matan’s team to understand and clearly articulate data and analytics
- Understand Matan’s strategy, audiences, and the context in which we operate to ensure that communications are clear and well-positioned
- Pitch story ideas and develop communications
- Track and analyze engagement data from various online platforms including Matan’s social media channels, to be created e-newsletter, Google Ads, and Google website analytics
- Ensure that all work is developed and executed to respond to the diversity of our workforce and with equity as a foundational principle
- Able to travel occasionally, attend conferences, and meet with members of the fully remote team in person as needed, including Staff Retreats
- At least six years of full-time work experience of which at least three have been in communications, marketing, or public relations
- Experienced relationship-builder comfortable presenting one-on-one and in small group settings
- Track record of compelling digital communications, primarily email marketing, Facebook and Instagram, hopefully will grow our LinkedIn footprint/reach
- Familiarity with the landscape of Jewish organizations and Jewish life in the U.S. and Canada or enthusiasm and ability to learn the landscape quickly
- Demonstrated ability to achieve high-performance goals and meet deadlines
- Adept at working in email marketing and social media platforms
- Experience creating designs in Canva or similar creative software
- Website maintenance experience a plus
Skills and Qualities
- Skilled writer and editor
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal skills working with colleagues and external stakeholders
- Motivated by innovating, moving quickly, and executing well
- Self-starter and flexible thinker; able to work independently in a dynamic work environment
- Creative and playful; enjoys generating new ideas and approaches
- Eager to give and receive constructive feedback within a highly collaborative team
- Passionate about providing top-notch “customer” service to all constituents
- Track record of excellence
- Desire and willingness to contribute to Matan’s ongoing Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion work
- Able to work effectively remotely
- Bring joy and gratitude to the work we are privileged to do
Salary, Benefits and Team
Salary range of $60,000 - $75,000; if needed, health insurance stipend; opportunity to participate in Matan’s retirement plan after a year of employment; competitive paid time off and parental leave; work culture that pairs high expectations and accountability with significant flexibility; investment in professional development. Starting salary, within the range, will be based on education and experience. If your salary expectations are different and/or you have more experience than required, let’s talk.
Both a cover letter and resumé must be submitted for the application to be considered. Submissions will be acknowledged with an automated response and a personal email will follow once the application has been screened. We are accepting applications through May 5, 2023. Prospective applicants are encouraged to email questions to [email protected].
Matan seeks to increase equity in its hiring and therefore:
- Frequently cited statistics show that women, trans, and nonbinary people, as well as other structurally marginalized groups apply to jobs only if they meet 100% of the qualifications. Matan encourages you to break that statistic and to apply. No one ever meets 100% of the qualifications. We look forward to your application.
This job description is intended to convey information essential to understand the scope of the position. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of skills, efforts, duties, or responsibilities associated with the position.