The Aquatics Director will provide leadership and supervision of the swim lesson program and operations of the Aquatics Department, ensuring that high quality, safe and well-organized programs are being offered and all aspects of the pool operations are conducted in a professional manner. The Aquatics Director shall work within the guidelines of the aquatics policies.
The Aquatics Director must be detail oriented and well organized, with the ability to plan activities and schedules several months in advance. This person must be flexible and able to handle multiple projects at the same time. The Aquatics Director is expected to be an innovative and creative team player who provides a positive role model for swimmers, instructors and coaches. This full-time exempt position reports to the MJCC Assistant Director.
- Develop, implement, supervise and evaluate comprehensive, creative and progressive swim lessons and swim team programs.
- Keep informed of various trends and programs in the community and nationally that may be introduced, adapted to, and have effect on MJCC programs.
- Work with Early Childhood Director to provide group swim lessons to classes and to promote private lessons to families.
- Work with Camp Director to ensure summer camp swimming needs are met, providing necessary swim instructors and lifeguards for campers
- Work with members and non-members to coordinate, organize, schedule, and promote group and private lessons
Staffing and Supervision
- Recruit, supervise, train, schedule and evaluate swim instructors.
- Supervise and maintain credentials for staff as needed.
- Lifeguard and teach swim lessons as needed
- MOD shifts as assigned
Facility and Equipment
- Ensure that all pools are maintained to Department of Health standards
- Ensure that all pools and related facilities are kept clean and tidy
Marketing and Communication
- Manage communication with constituents so that information is presented clearly and in a timely manner.
- Clearly communicate policies and programs to families to promote participation
- Work with membership department to funnel leads from new member joins and existing members into aquatics programs.
- Work with marketing department to create flyers, boards, banners, eblasts and any other material to promote swim lesson and swim team programs.
- Communicate policies and programs to families and promote family participation in special programs and events.
- Plan the annual department budget; manage and implement the approved budget and take appropriate action to correct variances. Take lead role in implementing and managing program sponsorship initiatives, ensuring department financial viability
- Responsible for ordering equipment and supplies for the aquatics department and ensure that equipment is properly secured and maintained
- Participate in regular departmental meetings and building coverage
- Work heavily with other JCC departments to enhance activities and programs
- Supervise, train and support assigned staff and volunteers. Develop, plan and implement new procedures, systems and methods to promote program growth, safety, member satisfaction and member retention through program participation and facility excellence
- Identify and resolve program problem areas to ensure member satisfaction
- Produce department operation reports as needed
- Represent and promote the MJCC in the community as needed and develop positive working relationships with other organizations, business and governmental entities
- Complete additional duties as assigned by the supervisor
- Ability to supervise and train staff, including organizing, prioritizing, and scheduling work assignments.
- Ability to compile data reports and analyze data.
- Enthusiastic and self-motivated individual who is comfortable working in a fast-paced environment, including occasional nights and weekends.
- Minimum of three years of aquatics supervision experience.
- CPR/AED certified for professional rescuer.
- Certified Pool Operator (CPO) License or ability to obtain one within six months of hire date.
- WSI (American Red Cross) or comparable certification required.
- Swim instruction experience required
- Ability to certify CPR and lifeguards preferred.
- Water fitness instruction experience preferred
- Bachelor's Degree preferred.
Mission and Community Oriented: Accepts and demonstrates JCC values. Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions and perceptions. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits quality staff and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Provides assigned staff with orientation, training, development and recognition. Ensures high-level services.
People Oriented: Takes initiative to assist in developing others. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Speaks and writes effectively. Empathetically listens and communicates for understanding when negotiating and dealing with conflict. Effectively tailors communications to the appropriate audience. Provides staff with feedback, coaching, guidance and support.
Results Oriented: Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another.
Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Holds staff accountable for high-quality results using a formal process to measure progress. Develops plans and manages best practices through engagement of team. Effectively manages budgets.