Family Village Manager
Are you a passionate outdoor Jewish educator? Do you love to lead Jewish, earth-connected experiences for families?
START DATE: June 2022
Wilderness Torah seeks an enthusiastic and experienced youth and family professional to run our Family Village Programming.
Under the supervision of the Youth Programs Director, the Family Village Manager will develop and manage emergent East Bay tot and family programs as well as managing Wilderness Torah’s youth programs at festivals and community events across the Bay Area.
The goal of Wilderness Torah youth programs is to provide children and their families with meaningful, Jewish, and earth-connected experiences. These powerful experiences serve them in being whole, community-oriented, eco-centric people. As the Family Village Manager, you will support youth and their family in nature-based exploration of Jewish spirituality, tradition, and wisdom. Creativity is encouraged and welcomed.
East Bay Tot Community Building and Family Programs:
- Create and implement Shabbat programming for tots (ages 0-5) & parents
- Design and implement a Hebrew calendar events series for tots and parents
- Establish relationships with East Bay organizations that serve tots and parents
- Attend local Alameda & Contra Costa county events for young families
- Engage new community members in WT programming
Youth and Family Festival Programming:
- Design and manage youth and family programs at multi-generational community festivals such as High Holidays, Sukkot, Tu B’Shvat, and Passover in the Desert.
- Oversee recruitment, training, and management of program leads and mentors
- Act as onsite Family Liaison to support family needs
General Wilderness Torah Responsibilities
- Participate in Cultural Evolution work that aims toward deeper collaboration, more equitable decision-making, and stronger cultural anchoring
- Participate in Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion work
- Engage as a thoughtful member of a small, innovative team and community
As a strong applicant, you possess the experiences and skills listed below. Applicants with varying competencies are encouraged to apply, provided that they display the ability to successfully perform the job description.
- 2+ years experience working as a teacher or mentor, ideally with a focus on young children and families; Jewish experience necessary
- 2+ years program management experience
- Excellent people skills
- Passionate about nature and outdoor learning
- Excellent verbal & written communication and customer service skills
- Self-motivated with ability to lead own projects while collaborating with teams
- Analytical and detail-oriented
- Proficiency with Google Workspace
- A passion for earth-based Judaism and a demonstrated commitment to our mission
- Physical Demands: Standing & walking for several hours, as well as sitting, squatting, crawling, climbing & lifting Up to 30 pounds
- Access to a vehicle
ABOUT WILDERNESS TORAH:
Founded in 2007, Wilderness Torah is a leader in the earth-based Judaism movement and has served thousands of people with land-based holiday retreats; outdoor, mentor-based K-12 programs; young adult leadership development, local and national training in our models, and most recently our virtual learning opportunities. Wilderness Torah aims to be a healing balm in an overstressed, disconnected culture – to reconnect to the magic created when we get out into nature, experience embodied Jewish ritual and learning, all within a multi-generational setting. See our website at www.wildernesstorah.org.
Our workplace culture is one based on flexibility, trust, warmth, and dedication. Our team works hard, brings their whole selves, takes time when they need it, and relishes helping create meaningful experiences. We also have a large community of hundreds, including youth program families, young adults, and multi-generational participants who help co-create our events. You will work with an amazing team of smart and caring people, in a workplace culture that values flexibility and collaboration.
Compensation and Benefits
- Based on interest, this position can be 80% FTE (32 hours/week) or 100% FTE (40 hours/week), with competitive non profit salary commensurate with experience. Full time equivalent (FTE) Manager salary ranges from $52,000 to $60,000
- Medical and dental benefits
- Retirement Plan: SIMPLE IRA with matching
- We offer ten U.S. holidays and all chag Jewish holidays off (days that follow the Shabbat rules of no work). We have a flexible vacation policy and a sabbatical policy
- Flexible work schedule. Work remotely and onsite for specific programming
- Free attendance at WT community programs, 25% discount on youth programs
- Be an integral part of an innovative organization in an exciting growth phase, as well as part of a cutting-edge movement to reconnect Judaism to the earth
Schedule & Supervision
- This role is supervised by the Youth Programs Education Director
- At times the FVM will need to work weekends and holidays, and will need to work more than 40 hours per week during event time.
- This position works remote except for program days, which will have a focus on the East Bay for recruitment, cultivation.
- Please send resume, two references, and cover letter (one page) in a single PDF to [email protected], include “Family Village Manager” in the Subject line.
- Start Date: June, 2022
- Application Due Date: April 31, 2022
Wilderness Torah believes that personnel diversity is an organizational strength, and recognizes and values the intersecting identities that staff members bring to our organization. People of color are strongly encouraged to apply. WT is committed to providing equal employment consideration without discrimination on the basis of race, gender, disability, religion, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other protected status. Local candidates only, or be willing to relocate. Thank you!