Sefaria is a non-profit organization dedicated to building the future of Torah in an open and participatory way. We are assembling a free, digital library of Jewish texts and translations and developing digital tools, educational resources, and engagement opportunities that enable people to deepen their study. Sefaria's team of more than 20 full-time staff is remote, with employees based in several US cities and in Israel.
Sefaria was founded just eight years ago and has since become a mainstay of Jewish learning and education with more than 4 million users annually. Sefaria’s API powers more than 80 independent projects and dozens of Torah-focused websites. As part of our strategic goals for 2022 and beyond, we are focused on building out our product and engineering teams to support the upkeep and advancement of Sefaria’s website and apps.
We are seeking a full-time Technical Project Manager on the Product Team to assist in planning and guide execution of projects that involve multiple internal and external stakeholders
The Technical Project Manager will be responsible for planning and managing execution of multiple simultaneous ongoing projects. The ideal candidate will have strong project management skills, extensive technical expertise, and be a clear written and oral communicator. The Technical Project Manager will report to the Chief Product Officer.
The Technical Project Manager will be responsible for project planning and execution throughout the project life cycle. The Technical Project Manager is expected to engage with users, clients, and external partners, and to work collaboratively with all teams across Sefaria –Engineering, UX, Learning, Marketing, Fundraising, and Operations – with a focus on driving alignment on strategic initiatives.
This is a central role in Sefaria and offers a path of growth as the organization matures. The Technical Project Manager will have the opportunity to work at the intersection of all of our teams, and be involved in many of the most important decisions the company faces. This is a role for someone who can understand multiple perspectives – those of the users, the engineers, and those responsible for the continuing health of the organization. They will have the inclination and the ability to bridge gaps in communication and help the team to arrive at shared understandings.
In this position you will:
- Become an expert in the tools that Sefaria offers, understanding how they are currently used and how they can be used
- Develop project plans to meet tactical and strategic goals
- Coordinate the work of all stakeholders through the lifecycle of complex projects
- Manage relationships with providers, clients, and organizational partners
- Ensure projects are ultimately delivered in a timely and cost-effective manner
- Evaluate the success and efficacy of projects
- Provide technical and project expertise in negotiations with potential clients and partners
- Develop software requirements through understanding and reporting user and partner issues
Projects may include:
- Managing existing client relationships - guiding internal and external stakeholders to delivery of contracted projects
- Managing integration of large collections of text provided by partners
- Managing implementation of product features
- Managing creation of solutions using existing products
- Developing and running experiments to validate product concepts
- Managing potential developer grant program - preparing RFPs, vetting proposals, managing ongoing relationships
- Managing community of external developers - determining best pathways for engagement, providing resources, managing feedback, queries etc.
Attributes we’re looking for include:
- A love of Torah and sense of the possibilities afforded by new media
- Strategic understanding of the possibilities of cooperation and competition
- Ability to understand technical and complex topics, such as distributed version control systems, or formal ontologies.
- Ability to inquire into and understand the experiences of others
- Strong quantitative analytical ability and familiarity with analytics
- Ability to lead initiatives in an entrepreneurial, start-up environment
- Capacity to communicate complex concepts clearly and simply to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Ability to influence multiple stakeholders without direct authority
- Professionalism, integrity, equitable and ethical behavior, and commitment to the values of the organization
Experience, qualifications, and requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or related field; or equivalent technical experience
- Minimum three years of experience
- Experience managing projects in complex environments
- Experience in or familiarity with software development
- Strong project management skills
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Detail-oriented, organized and able to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Comfortable working remotely and with a geographically dispersed team
- Knowledgeable about Sefaria, Jewish texts, and Jewish community writ large
- Fluency in English is required; proficiency in Hebrew a plus
- The candidate may be based anywhere in the US or Israel. Please be sure to apply to the job description associated with your location.
Compensation & Benefits:
- 18,000-21,0000 ILS per month, depending on experience
- Generous paid time off, including Jewish holidays
- Standard Israeli taxes and benefits plus Keren Histalmut
- Work-from-home utility reimbursements
- Professional development budget
Click below to apply; you’ll be invited to share your resume and brief cover letter in English. In your cover letter, please indicate if you have experience working in software development.
We'll be accepting applications until Monday, May 31.
If you meet more than 75% of the qualifications listed in this description, we encourage you to apply.
If you have a disability and require an accommodation or assistance with our application process, please tell us how we can help by including a note in your application.
Sefaria provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. Nothing in this job description or advertisement postings guarantees employment.